Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Search Engine not working in 1.1.6? 

AnnaM
Guru

Total Posts:  325
San Francisco

I just tried a search since upgrading to 1.1.6, and get this, no matter what I search on. Is this a known bug, or do I have some problem somewhere?  I have looked at all the files it mentions and I have not edited any of them.  Also deleted /var/cache for grins. No change

Invalid method Mage_CatalogSearch_Block_Result::initList(Array
(

[0] => catalog/product/list.phtml
)
)

#0 [internal function]: Varien_Object->__call('initList', Array)
#1 [internal function]: Mage_CatalogSearch_Block_Result->initList('catalog/product...')
#2 /home/epicure/public_html/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Layout.php(328): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
#3 /home/epicure/public_html/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Layout.php(204): Mage_Core_Model_Layout->_generateAction(Object(Mage_Core_Model_Layout_Element), Object(Mage_Core_Model_Layout_Element))
#4 /home/epicure/public_html/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Layout.php(196): Mage_Core_Model_Layout->generateBlocks(Object(Mage_Core_Model_Layout_Element))
#5 /home/epicure/public_html/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Layout.php(200): Mage_Core_Model_Layout->generateBlocks(Object(Mage_Core_Model_Layout_Element))
#6 /home/epicure/public_html/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Action.php(285): Mage_Core_Model_Layout->generateBlocks()
#7 /home/epicure/public_html/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Action.php(222): Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Action->generateLayoutBlocks()
#8 /home/epicure/public_html/app/code/core/Mage/CatalogSearch/controllers/ResultController.php(54): Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Action->loadLayout()
#9 /home/epicure/public_html/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Action.php(349): Mage_CatalogSearch_ResultController->indexAction()
#10 /home/epicure/public_html/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Router/Standard.php(163): Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Action->dispatch('index')
#11 /home/epicure/public_html/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Front.php(174): Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Router_Standard->match(Object(Mage_Core_Controller_Request_Http))
#12 /home/epicure/public_html/app/Mage.php(447): Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Front->dispatch()
#13 /home/epicure/public_html/index.php(46): Mage::run()
#14 {main}

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Sebastian G
Guru

Total Posts:  336

AnnaM did you upgrade using the key magento-core/Mage_All_Latest?

Magento Community
Magento Community

AnnaM
Guru

San Francisco

Tomas G. - 07 October 2008 02:35 PM

AnnaM did you upgrade using the key magento-core/Mage_All_Latest?

Hi Tomas, thanks. Yes I believe so.  Proper Host Support did the upgrade using magento connect, from 1.1.4 He seems to know a lot about magento, and I suspect thats how he did it.  He is in Norway asleep now of course, but perhaps I will refer him to this thread if you think that might be the problem?  Everything else has been fine, no problems that I have observerd, and my custom stuff remained in tact etc.

Is there anything else that might cause it?

Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sebastian G
Guru

Well if you haven’t changed any of the files, you just simply upgraded and you have your customized theme (if there’s any) setup correctly there should not be any problem.

Magento Community
Magento Community

AnnaM
Guru

San Francisco

Tomas, FYI and any others interested, what caused this problem, and a suggestion.

It was caused by catalogsearch.xml which I had changed slightly, and was in my custom folders.  What I didn’t know was that file was apparently changed from 1.1.4 to 1.1.6 so thats why the search was failing.

What I am wondering, wouldn’t it be possible with an upgrade to include a text file that lists the files that were changed, so we can know if one or more are in our custom folders, that we need to deal with it. 

It would make upgrading a bit easier I think.  This way the only way we find out, is when a major error like this one happens.

Is such a list doable?  Doesn’t need what the changes were, just a list of filenames with the path to them I reckon too.

Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sebastian G
Guru

Hi Anna, that’s why we publish the release notes on every new release. We may not include every line of code that we modify, however every fix and Improvement is listed there.
I kindly invite you to check the Release Notes - Magento 1.1.5 (September 15, 2008) and the Release Notes - Magento 1.1.6 (September 17, 2008) as well as the upcoming 1.17 (soon).
Hope you find them helpful. smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

AnnaM
Guru

San Francisco

Thanks Tomas, yes I have seen those before and agree its great info.  What it doesn’t do though, unless I missedit, is what I was asking, identify which speicfic files are modified, so if you have that file in your custom theme, you can be sure to replace it.

If I had known that catalogsearch.xml was on a list, I would go, oh, thats one of my custom theme files, I need to replace it and if still possible, make my modification to it.

As it is now, the only way to find out you have a changed custom theme file is if you get errors, like I did, then its a hunt to figure out why.

Make sense?  Thanks. I appreciate your input.

Anna

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sebastian G
Guru

Hi Anna it does make sense, i’m going to escalate your suggestion but I can’t guarantee a reply (either yes or no) smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

AnnaM
Guru

San Francisco

Thats all we can ask. smile It does seem to make a lot of sense, esp as you encourage the custom themes and its one of the stronger points aobut your excellent package.  And really doesn’t seem it would be too haard to do, but thats ez for me to say LOL

thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

Oldgamer

Total Posts:  142

I agree,
a lot of members change the code of their core files slightly (mostly not because they just want to play around, but to fix problems they have) and every update would be a nightmare.
I think the list of file been changed is a must and will only help to everyone.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lisali
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  889
London, UK

I agree.

A list of changed/new/removed files is a must with every new release.

Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

tradiArt
Guru

Total Posts:  379

Please, please… We need to know which files have been changed each time you upgrade themes or skin…

We can’t have everybody our sites with modern and default themes!!

Best regards.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lotusseedsD
Mentor

Total Posts:  1144

Hi AnnaM, I also made similar suggestion before, but mine was, for small version update, Varien to release just those patches files so that we can opt out the Magento Connect upgrade option (as it’s too problematic) or run a fresh installation via FTP upload. My suggestion was not taken, not that I am whining here, but the reason for me to mention it is that a few people suggested to use the SVN differ. 

SVN differ can solve the problem you are suggesting too, nonetheless, I am favor for your suggestion.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community