Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

What UK problems are you having? 

tjscgroup

Total Posts:  146
United Kingdom

Hi

I am not currently using Magento, plan on moving soon.

If you have a few minutes would you mind letting me know what UK specific problems I should expect?

Many thanks in anticipation

Toby

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

J_T_

Total Posts:  1961
London-ish, UK

I’m not live yet but from what I’ve read, most if not all fundamental issues have been sorted. These include taxation, payment modules, locales etc. Can’t think of any left to be honest.

Magento Community
Magento Community

widgetuk

Total Posts:  20

I think one of my biggest problems as a UK magento user is that in the UK one of the largest companies for shipping is Royal Mail. In order for Magento to support a Royal Mail shipping module accurately, it needs to take product dimensions in to account!! 

Royal Mail charges based on weight and dimension of products (eg. if parcel is 40g and has dimensions of 0.4cm x 10cm x 5cm, you can ship 1st class for example, costing less than £1. But another product that weighs 40g also, but measures 80cm x 90cm x 120cm, would obvously need to be sent using one of Royal Mails more expensive postage services!!

Magento however wouldnt be able to work this out, and would offer your large dimensioned 40gram parcel to be shipped for simple Royal Mail 1st class postage rates as your small dimensioned product!  You’d loose big time on postage for this sale.

Other than that, I think Magento is great for the UK smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

tjscgroup

United Kingdom

Shipping based on dimension would definitely be an improvement.  We don’t have it on our current shops but perhaps worth considering in more detail before making the move.

It is not only Royal Mail that uses dimensions though...Fedex, UPS etc use dimensions for overseas.  For example, sending 1kg or 70kg is same price for a 60x60x60cm box from UK to US.

We sell a lot of items to EU businesses and heavily use Automatically change to ex VAT price for valid EU VAT number, is there a solution for this in Magento?

Many thanks in anticipation

Toby

Magento Community
Magento Community

J_T_

Total Posts:  1961
London-ish, UK

I don’t think that’s a Magento issue but a fundamental one. You can use attributes to record each product’s dimensions but that doesn’t tell the system how big it is once packaged. And then what if someone buys two products, it’s impossible to work out consistently accurately. That’s why table rates work OK enough for most, you win some, you loose some and keep tweaking.

The EU VAT number issue has popped up in the bug tracker numerous times, I thought it was fixed already!

Magento Community
Magento Community

tjscgroup

United Kingdom

J.T. - 10 October 2008 03:05 AM

...you win some, you loose some and keep tweaking.

Couldn’t agree more....however, if a clever person than me can come up with a solution I would be more than happy to use it!!

The EU VAT number issue has popped up in the bug tracker numerous times, I thought it was fixed already!

Ah, well you could be right I will have to take a closer look.

Magento Community
Magento Community

tjscgroup

United Kingdom

tjscgroup - 10 October 2008 03:42 AM

Taken another look and unless I am missing something, I do not see a way for a customer to remove VAT themselves. 

Obviously the customer can contact the admin and then wait for the admin to add VAT number & change customer group but I want the customer to be able to do it themselves.

Magento Community
Magento Community

tjscgroup

United Kingdom

tjscgroup - 10 October 2008 04:36 AM

tjscgroup - 10 October 2008 03:42 AM

Taken another look and unless I am missing something, I do not see a way for a customer to remove VAT themselves. 

Obviously the customer can contact the admin and then wait for the admin to add VAT number & change customer group but I want the customer to be able to do it themselves.

In fact, I am slightly wrong…

A customer can in fact enter their own VAT number (if you switch this on via /index.php/admin/system_config/edit/section/customer/).  However, the customer still sees and has to pay VAT - this is the bit I want to automate.

Magento Community
Magento Community

geek9394

Total Posts:  8

Regarding the topic on estimating shipping by dimension and weight, you can consider integrating The e-Commerce Shipping Calculator into your favorite shipping modules (e.g. RoyalMail, UPS, FedEx, etc).  The calculator helps you find a packaging arrangement which minimizes the number of parcels while keeping the shipping cost low to customers by using the dimension and weight of products and packaging containers.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community