Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Will setting ALL files+folders to 755 in ‘app’ cause problems? Was attempting to …

yvonney

Total Posts:  9

Hi everyone!

[ISSUE: Backend > CMS/Manage Pages gives me internal server error - this admin link goes to ‘admin/cms_page’ - could it be because I merged all of the ‘blank’ temple files into the ‘default’ template folders?]

iIve just set ALL the app files and folders to 755...will this be any problem? Does anyone have a FULL list of permissions?

I have 1.1.6 running with only the cache management page going to Internal server error…
I was living with that ok and just deleting all in the var/cache folder when I wanted to see my changes… not a big deal.

YET....
While using the Blank template I installed via magento connect nicely i got to the point where I THOUGHT I was understanding mag enough and wanting to condense my install down ... SO:  I copied ALL the blank temple files into the default template folders…

This worked fine for me yet the ONLY issue that is really a problem is that NOW in the backend when I try to pull down CMS / Manage Pages
I get the dreaded Internal Server Error message. Never one to assume I’m thinking that something not pointing at something IN the files…
due to my merging the template ‘blank’ INTO the template ‘default’ .... though who knows!

This backend link is looking to go to URL SITE/’admin/cms_page’ ....

Can anyone tell me IF the merge may have caused a problem...?
Is there a way to find out WHAT this URL is look at code-wise?

Big thanks!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

piotrekkaminski
Magento Team

Total Posts:  73

Hello,

Does it happen on fresh 1.1.6 install too or only on the modified one? Please also note that if you have modified default template, your changes will be overwriten during any upgrade. Setting all files and folders to 755 should not be a problem but it is recommended to have such configuration on the dev server only and update live server with files with more limited permissions. If you upgrade files on dev server and move them to live, they database changes will be automatically executed.

Magento Community
Magento Community

yvonney

nice piotrek, thank you for the thought…

ok, so there is no problem I can really create generally by making the files 755 as well as the folders…

not that it’s idea… though wondering if any files MUST be at 644....

anyways my problem is that:

1) I had a working 1.1.6 installed fresh NO updates… except I used magento connect to install BLUE and BLANK templates…

I HAD these template folders in both the SKIN and APP folders at the correct depths obviously. AND I can change the templates if I want no problems… (except cache management page gives me server error though I was ignoring that for days now)

2) [desire to have JUST the BLANK template as the only template] So, I get this idea to play and delete the BLUE template folders entirely… then i MOVE ALL the files from BLANK template folders and OVERWRITE anything that may be a duplicate in the DEFAULT template folders…

3) At some point, I do not know when… the SINGLE admin page CMS / MANAGE PAGES is no longer working SERVER ERROR ... I check the error logs and it’s telling me some things that I believe mean nothing maybe???:

- public_html/mag/report/index.php” is writeable by group

- File does not exist: public_html/500.shtml

- Premature end of script headers: /public_html/mag/404/index.php

- Premature end of script headers:/public_html/mag/js/index.php

- Premature end of script headers: /public_html/mag/report/index.php [???INTERESTING???]

- Premature end of script headers: /public_html/mag/404/index.php

I changed a couple of permissions and now I get a 404 error page not found page WHICH is from the original template look.... the one that’s the ORIGINAL install default template 404 page look..

So, maybe it’s just not finding

CMS / MANAGE PAGES

I will try many things today and tomorrow…

if you know how to make it find the CMS / MANAGE PAGES page.... after I have merged the templates to the default folder this would be great!

hehehe

thanks again…

any ideas welcomed...obviously! :-)

Magento Community
Magento Community

yvonney

UPDATE COMMENT:

Have gone back to earlier database and it the CMS / MANAGE PAGES page comes up…
So, it’s not related DIRECTLY anyways, to my merging the BLANK template INTO the default template....

then again.... hmmmm....

So.... I’m not plunking away trying newer and newer databases and I’m expecting to get to the point where I deleted the TWO of the store views and also played around with the stuff IN the Manage Pages area and then we’ll see..

all good fun.... how else would I learn anything..... really.....

hehehe

Comments on deleting stores, playing with the page links INSIDE of Manage Pages admin area.... all welcomed...what fun!!!

truly.

Magento Community
Magento Community

OPEN Advertising

Total Posts:  1
Thailand

yvonney - 07 October 2008 09:14 AM
Hi everyone!

[ISSUE: Backend > CMS/Manage Pages gives me internal server error - this admin link goes to ‘admin/cms_page’ - could it be because I merged all of the ‘blank’ temple files into the ‘default’ template folders?]

Would suggest not to delete or merge any options from the default settings. When you’re in manage stores, set the options to disabled rather than delete, this will avoid internal server errors.

I have learn’t to back-up the database and read the instructions - saves a lot of time and frustration

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community