Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

CRITICAL ERROR: PayPal payment confirmation not correct? 

btbc

Total Posts:  95

Here is the PayPal payment confirmation:

Dear First Last,

This email confirms that you have authorized a payment to COMPANY (support@COMPANY.com) for $0.10 CAD using PayPal.

Your funds will be transferred at a later time when the merchant processes your payment. If you hold a PayPal balance at that time, your payment will be drawn from your PayPal balance before the funding sources you have selected.

This credit card transaction will appear on your bill as “PAYPAL *COMPANY”.

Payment Details
Transaction ID:  ******************
Item Price:  $0.10 CAD
Sales Tax:  $0.01 CAD
Total:  $0.11 CAD
Order Description:  *****************
Invoice ID:  **********
Buyer:  First Last

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, the confirmation email says 10 cents but the real amount including tax is 11 cents. What gives?

I tried searching, but didn’t find anything similar. Anybody have any ideas? This is on the latest version.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

piotrekkaminski
Magento Team

Total Posts:  73

Hello,

This email is sent by PayPal not Magento. The amount may be incorrect due to rounding issues. What values do you see in Magento order? Does it happen for higher amounts like $1- $10?

Magento Community
Magento Community

btbc

name TEST PROD
SKU: test_prod
Canceled CAD $0.10 CAD $0.10
Ordered 1
Canceled 1
CAD $0.10 CAD $0.01 12.35% CAD $0.00 CAD $0.11

That is what is in the Magento order. Regardless of amount, PayPal and Magento should and must be on the same page correct?

Yes, there appears to be a rounding error somewhere, and I think its due to the tax rules.

When taxes are added, the amount should be correct.

WHEN THE TAXES ARE COMPOUNDED, THE TAX AMOUNT IS INCORRECT… basically, I think there is a bug, and that is the answer.

PS: thanks for the quick reply piotrekkaminski

Magento Community
Magento Community

piotrekkaminski
Magento Team

Total Posts:  73

Hello,

The only thing that looks incorrect to me is the first line in the PayPal confirmation email (and that should be handled to PayPal support). In Magento the product is $0.10, Tax is $0.01 and Total is $0.11. Same values are in detailed PayPal listing:
Item Price:  $0.10 CAD
Sales Tax:  $0.01 CAD
Total:  $0.11 CAD

Magento Community
Magento Community

btbc

I don’t think it is PayPal… let me explain why.

On a $0.10 item with compounding tax rates of 5% and 7%, here is what it shows in the Magento checkout.

Subtotal CAD $0.10
GST - 5% CAD $0.00
PST - 7% CAD $0.00
Tax CAD $0.01

Grand Total CAD $0.11

I think Magento is passing onto PayPal one of the GST or PST amounts, and not both. Please keep in mind this is for when TAX RATES ARE COMPOUNDED...($0.10 x 5%) x 7% and not when they are added $0.10 x (5% + 7%)

Anyways, just a heads up to a potential bug… maybe or maybe not.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community