Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Skipping import row, required field “sku” is not defined. 

daodev

Total Posts:  16

Same problem - Can not find required columns: sku

I have import that file before and now it doesn’t imports. Change UTF - 8, in notepad++ but didn’t help.

Any idea?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

ravindragoyal

Total Posts:  2

Disable the Magento Compiler under System > Tools > Compilation. Then retry the import. Should work now.
disabling compilation did the job.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Boatmagic

Total Posts:  91

This is once again broken in the newest version 1.6.0.0 among other things!

I’m using the same .csv for the past year and wow, new Magento version breaks what was working in the previous version.

After a little studying on the subject and reviewing the .csv file I found the problem.
I tired using the Trademark symbol on some of the product names....Magento doesn’t like this and it was causing the errors.

The real problem is the error generation messages!

The “sku not defined” error has not one single thing to do with “sku not being defined”, because the sku is defined and has always been defined!

The Magento team needs to go back through the error generation portion of this software cos it is one strange animal.

Magento Community
Magento Community

rossmannsupply

Total Posts:  34

I am stuck with this same problem. I cannot use regular import either due to an SQL error, SQLSTATE[23000]: Integrity constraint violation: 1062 Duplicate entry ‘1-1305676800-1315699199-1-0-214-1’ for key 2

Either way I can\’t win. :(

Magento Community
Magento Community

rdhinman

Total Posts:  2

Disabling Compilation under System Tools worked for me.  I didn’t have to edit the file in Notepad++.  I didn’t have to convert it to UTF-8.  I just edited the export cvs in Excel, and saved it as .cvs.  The upload went fine and all products (125) were properly added to the catalog.

Magento Community
Magento Community

kevando

Total Posts:  20

I ran into this same issue and my problem was an invalid character. The file had a “µ” unit for an attribute. After removing that, the import ran fine.

Magento Community
Magento Community

fourroses666

Total Posts:  90

I tried all,
i have version 1.6

when i export the csv (System > Import/Export > Export : products csv)
i open the file into openoffice, add some products, save it as UTF-8 the import still says: Can not find required columns: sku

The exported file looks like: sku,_store,_attribute_set,_type,_category,_product_websites, ....
The file i want to import has seperated columns, is that the problem?

Compilation is deactivated.

I\’m going crazy here.
Is it possible to use Dataflow - Profiles to import new products?

I guess i need to import them like that only i don’t know which settings like /t for tabbed etc

Magento Community
Magento Community

fourroses666

is it posible to download the csv with Direct Admin, if yes, where can i find it?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Dickd

Total Posts:  15

Check your spread sheet any strange symbol like \"\" oo y with a ~ above it wil cause skip errors
Happnes when you cut and past from web pages or word

Magento Community
Magento Community

fourroses666

i was able to download change and upload by using import / export > dataflow profiles > export all products
then change them and them import / export > dataflow profiles > import all products

that seems to work.

Magento Community
Magento Community

wessiez

Total Posts:  12

Hello,

What worked for me:

Open the created .csv file in (for example) notepad. Check how the header names are separated. By my .csv the headers are separated by a ; (dot comma)

Check your import settings at: profile wizard->separation value (not sure if this is the englisch value, I have dutch), is ; (dot comma)

Good luck,
wessiez

Magento Community
Magento Community

hdaict

Total Posts:  10
Netherlands (Groningen)

Here the same problem, i made for me the most simple csv file (and i always get that error)

I tried to import with DataFlow this one ios givng the SQL error

And if i try with the import he says that the field SKU isn’t there

“sku”;"name”;"description”;"short_description”;"_type”;"weight”;"_product_websites”;"status”;"visibility”;"price”;"tax_class_id”;"allow_open_amount”;"type"
“01”;"test”;"omschrijving";"korte omschrijving”;"simple”;"100”;"http://hdaict.nl”;"1";"Catalog, Search”;"10,50”;"2”;"-”;"simple"

There are now standing 2 times _type, he gave me about that opne also an error

I’m just looking for the most simple CSV example to test with it, please can someone help?

Magento Community
Magento Community

hdaict

Total Posts:  10
Netherlands (Groningen)

Finaly i have some results, you need to import this feed with the dataflow

sku,name,description,short_description,type,weight,_product_websites,status,visibility,price,tax_class_id,attribute_set,image
01,test,omschrijving,korte omschrijving,simple,100,http://hdaict.nl,1,\"Catalog, Search\”,10.50,2,Default,\"/image.jpg\"

He doesnt set the vissibility and also nog the status

I\’m still working on the import, if i have more information i will post it here!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Dannyz1984

Total Posts:  153

Hello guys

1.6.2 here

the problem looks like it still has not been fixed.

for me the issue was with illegal characters. i took those out and now i can import all products.

thanks for everyone verifying same issue.

Magento Community
Magento Community

JoshCMayorga

Total Posts:  31
Miami, FL

I’m getting the

Skipping import row, required field “sku” is not defined.

error.. My .csv file is already in UTF-8 encoding.. Looking at the csv file, I noticed something that might be the cause, the product information is not separated from the header rows.. Is is the two commas that separate them? I’m confused.. Please see attachment.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community