Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 3
Duplicate Orders due to slow redirect

Nautica

Total Posts:  140

I don’t know if its a problem on Magento 1.4 but lately we have a lot of duplicate orders which are cause by impatient customers.
What happens is this:

1) Customer hits Place Order button
2) checkout page show that the order is processing.
3) before the redirect page ( from the Payment Provider) is shown, the Place Order button becomes active again.
4) Impatient customers hit the Place order button again.
5) Payment page of provider is displayed and customer finishes payment.

Result:
Duplicate order with different id’s and customer gets 2 order emails and is confused ( often thinking they paid double)

Is there a way to change the script to delay the display of the place order button for a few secs?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Jase Clamp

Total Posts:  19

Something similar is happening to us. I think that 99% of Magento users don\’t have high traffic stores, whereas we do at least 200 orders per day.
Consequently we have a few orders like this every week. I wish it could be scheduled as a bug and resolved at some point in the future.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Nautica

Welll i dont have a high traffic store but its hosted on a fast dedicated server. I think Magento runs faster then the server from my payment provider because its takes about 4-10 second to go to their redirect page. In meantime the “Place Order” button is active again and customers can click it second time. This could be solved by adding some delay in the script that hide’s the button a little longer.

Magento Community
Magento Community

BhargavP

Total Posts:  5

Hello Nautica,

Are you still having the problem. I have the same problem, but i cannot figure it out yet why i have this problem.
I received 4 orders that are duplicated. The Order id is different, but the customer has paid only once. I received this duplications from almost all payment methods i use,(Paypal, Paypal 90 Days, Authorize.net, Offline Check)

Please let me know, if you solved the problem. If not, let me know how you realize the occurance of that problem.

Thanks in advance.

Magento Community
Magento Community

imwy2cool

Total Posts:  164

I’m having the same issue. I’m not sure why this happens. We have this happen at least once a day. Now yesterday we had two orders that came in but were NOT recorded by the cart! I found the transaction Authorize.net and had to call the customer and have them tell me what they ordered. I’m really frustrated by this.

Magento Community
Magento Community

tpboles22

Total Posts:  9

Same here. I wish the place order button would become grayed out after the first click. Maybe a please wait order processing bar. Anything to stop them from clicking place order twice. Any ideas?

Magento Community
Magento Community

tadwestie

Total Posts:  12

I am having the same problem.  When the customer selects process order, it either kicks them back to log in, or stalls at the submit order phase.  If the customer is impatient, because they DO NOT get a confirmation that the order has been processed, they click the process or submit order button and then there are at least two charges through auth net.  Please is there a fix, there is Nothing worse then having to mend fences with customers, along with having to credit back their purchase and eating humble pie.  Can anyone tell me what to do please!!!!!!  We use site ground as our server.  My developers say it is a Magento thing, Site ground says it is a developers issue, then I see there are several on the magento forum whom are referring to the same issue.  Please Can anyone help?

File Attachments
site grounds response.txt  (File Size: 6KB - Downloads: 408)
site grounds response.txt  (File Size: 6KB - Downloads: 121)

Magento Community
Magento Community

Nautica

tadwestie - 31 August 2010 11:37 PM

I am having the same problem.  When the customer selects process order, it either kicks them back to log in, or stalls at the submit order phase.

The first part of your comment has nothing to do with this I think. As I read the comment from site-ground this must be a misconfig of the server. Magento runs best and fastest on Dedicated servers with optimization for Magento caching SQL etc. so it can also handle long queries in a fast way.

The example query site ground notes in the text file has nothing to do with placing an order but with products settings.

The second part of your comment is indeed the same we are experiencing and seems to happen with different payment methods.

Magento Community
Magento Community

tadwestie

So please how would you suggest to handle site ground, or is it a Magento issue, or a developer issue, Please I am not a computer geek by any stretch of the word.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Nautica

tadwestie - 01 September 2010 12:01 AM

So please how would you suggest to handle site ground, or is it a Magento issue, or a developer issue, Please I am not a computer geek by any stretch of the word.

I don’t know how your server configuration is and what site-ground offers you.
In a shared hosting environment your site runs on a server with other websites that all use the available memory on one server.
A VPS server is piece of the server that you share with a few others but mostly with an amount of memory you can use and is always available at minimum but can burst into higher memory use when other websites are not visited.
A dedicated server is a server you can use only for your website and tweak to meet Magento’s needs.

So the best way is to discus this with your developers, if you don’t have a clue what this means.
The double order issue is a Magento bug that needs to be repaired in future versions. So we have to wait for that but if you have some good developers they should be able to create their own workaround.. If not get some other developers grin

Magento Community
Magento Community

tadwestie

Thank you so very much for your reply.  Your explanation of everything was in content that I could understand.  I have copied and pasted everything and have sent it on to site ground and our developers.  Site ground’s hosting that we have presently is the cloud hosting.

SiteGround cloud hosting uses a highly advanced virtualization system which guarantees that no website will be affected by other users on the same cloud. This guarantees a dedicated server-like feel and yet allows us to offer flexible Cloud hosting plans, suitable for smaller websites too. With SiteGround cloud hosting any website can benefit from being hosted on a cloud.

But if I am reading your comments correctly maybe we should be switching to this one?  For the moment after going to the expense of redoing the web site, getting everything done, and the wonderful economy to do the professional dedicated hosting is out of my options for the moment.

Semi Dedicated:
SiteGround knows that there are websites that simply need more. If your whole business depends on your website performance, or you have a highly visited personal site, or you have chosen to use a more resource demanding script our Semi Dedicated servers may be the perfect solution! The low number of websites hosted on one semi dedicated server guarantees that you can rely on abundant server resources.

I know this is above the scope of the forum but I am hoping that you can see your way clear to respond to my questions or?????  Thank you again so very much for your time and your explanation!!!!

Magento Community
Magento Community

netdude

I had this exact problem (from the 1st post in this thread). I just figured it now I believe. I removed sendmail and installed postfix and everything is fast… because my site itself was always blazing fast… it was just slow as heck on place order and sending customers tracking information. I just changed from sendmail to postfix and its blazing fast throughout! smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

Roberto Acioli

Total Posts:  22
Olinda, PE

Guys, I have the same issue, but I don’t have the privileges to change my mail server configuration. Did anyone implemented the delay suggested by Nautica? Other way to solve this is redirecting to an internal page, before redirect to the payment provider’s page. I just don’t know how to do this.

Magento Community
Magento Community

imwy2cool

Total Posts:  164

netdude - 13 September 2010 09:40 PM

I had this exact problem (from the 1st post in this thread). I just figured it now I believe. I removed sendmail and installed postfix and everything is fast… because my site itself was always blazing fast… it was just slow as heck on place order and sending customers tracking information. I just changed from sendmail to postfix and its blazing fast throughout! smile

Okay I really am excited by what you posted! Could you please explain in detail what it was that you did? I have suspected my email as a problem all along, but haven’t known where to look . . .

Anyway, if you could, please tell us what you changed, where, how etc, oh and what files options? Thank you SO much!

Magento Community
Magento Community

simonlilly

Total Posts:  33

Hi all,

So relieved I found this thread, I have seen this problem on two stores I’m involved in. One low traffic <50 orders per day and also one high traffic 500+ orders per day. Now the interesting thing is that in the release notes for 1.4.1.1 they admit a know problem:

Known Issues

* Google checkout notification duplicates orders or double-process them on timeouts

But I think this is much more widespread than just Google checkout. What is the best way to get Magento to address this?

What are the implications of removing sendmail and using postfix, does anything else in Magento get affected by this change?

Magento Community
Magento Community

netdude

imwy2cool - 20 September 2010 08:05 AM

netdude - 13 September 2010 09:40 PM

Okay I really am excited by what you posted! Could you please explain in detail what it was that you did? I have suspected my email as a problem all along, but haven’t known where to look . . .

Anyway, if you could, please tell us what you changed, where, how etc, oh and what files options? Thank you SO much!

Sorry for the late reply… What OS are you running? FreeBSD? CentOS?

Yum or ports make this change really easy. Feel free to call me at 800-223-4064 (Sean) and I will happily give you my assistance free of charge I don’t do magento support for money, I make enough of it through my sites… and sheer cost of having Magento run 35+ store views for nothing makes one so grateful to the wonderful people there; and for lack of a way to pay it back w/o spending a fortune, pay it forward smile That all being said, what kind of hardware do you people use for your setups? I gots me a purdy quad-core w/8GB RAM running my mysql engine+memcached and two small quad-cores VDSes running frontend NGINX+PHP-FPM+APC+MEMCACHE (memcache client lib for distributing the sessions between multiple servers only, because I feel that using db as a method is just too inefficient). One SSL certificate with some crafty URL-rewriting/symlink/[index.php modifications] to work across mutiiple store views.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 3