Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Feature Request: Extra Questions at Checkout

brushwoodnursery

Total Posts:  23
Philly,PA USA

I’m aware of the need for a speedy checkout process. However, in my business, I need to ask at least 1 Extra Question. The question in my case is about delivery date.
My first cart was a third party cart with my old merch account/gateway. They offered the option to include up to 3 extra questions with text box, dropdown or radio options, optional for merchant to include and optional or required for customer to input.
My current cart is the old workhorse osC 2.2 MS2. I’ve been relatively happy with it after godonlyknowshowmany hours of manual coding. It includes this feature as well as many others I find important. I’ve been waiting for an update to it for a rebuild of my cart to include a more modern look and some features. Waiting. And waiting.........and waiting some more. I went to the announcement area there to read about the status only to find several mentions of Magento. Here I am. I look forward to seeing a solution!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

jsperri

Total Posts:  126
Fistufle

Hello,

There has been a similar request a while ago, to have a text field added in the checkout process, so the customer can leave comments related to the order. See: http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/727/

Magento Community
Magento Community

brushwoodnursery

Philly,PA USA

Yes, and that’s important, too. This is different since the store manager has control over the input. My setup offers a dropdown menu of available delivery windows that I control. It prevents customers from requesting delivery in January and also allows me to close valid delivery windows once we have too many orders during that time (by deleting that window from the choices in the dropdown). It works beautifully.
Now, this is just my need. If you look past the specifics with open eyes, you can see the potential for other business models to benefit. I’ve just enabled another question in the system that allows customers to note special instructions for the delivery driver. it’s optional but folks are really taking advantage of it. I get deliveries in about 4 different places depending on the company and it drives me nuts. That’s why I added it. Again, we want to keep checkout lean but this flexibility would be nice for stores with the need.

Magento Community
Magento Community

brushwoodnursery

Philly,PA USA

Has there been any more consideration of this feature? I know it isn’t necessary for all merchants but it is essential for my model.

Magento Community
Magento Community

AITOC
Guru

Total Posts:  618
US

If anyone is still interested in delivery date or other checkout modification, you might want to review AITOC’s extensions for checkout here -
http://www.aitoc.com/en/magento/checkout_improvement.html

Please use MCF15OFF to get 15% discount.

Thank you.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Amasty
Mentor

Total Posts:  3988

Hello!

You can check out Order Attributes extension. It lets add any custom fields to checkout page to collect the info you need.

As for delivery dates, you can also see this extension http://amasty.com/delivery-date.html that enables customers specify preferable delivery dates and time intervals to receive orders.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Keith_Tham

Total Posts:  10

Hi brushwoodnursery;
Are you looking for a Magento One Step Checkout extensions which allow you to have:

Optional checkbox for billing address to be shipping address
Configurable delivery options with different delivery cost for countries
Automatically update the Grand total on selection of delivery option
Automatically update the delivery option when shipping address is changed

For more infor here: http://www.mage-shop.com/one-step-checkout-extension.html

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community