Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Changing web hosting & domain name

trinayj

Total Posts:  7

Hi, I am new to Magento
Basically I am taking on an existing clients web site which has been designed in Magento.

They have it hosted with 1 Company and want to move hosting to another company (moving all their hosting./domains everything over at once.)
Will this cause any problems with the setup? Do I just transfer all the files? Is there anything else that needs to be done?

Also, they are cancelling their online bank account & restarting it in a few months once the store is ready.. Again, should this cause any problems? Is all I have to do is put the new bank merchant details etc? (the gateway looks as though it is already setup in the payment methods section - and I know that it works..)

Also, how do I get rid of the logo from the admin panel - the previous designer has used their logo on the admin login page & the header of all admin pages.. I am not that worried about it, but my client was pretty much ripped off by them and wants them gotten rid of!

Thanks for any help!

-TJ.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

MagentoReady

Total Posts:  19

Hi,

the best way to do it is making a backup of your current site form your control panel and restoring on the new hosting. If your new hosting uses for example Cpanel you will be able to restore backups from other panels.

Doing this will be almost straight forward, but if you just copy files you will have big problems as you will have to upload files and databases separately and the link them manually.

Regarding the bank account, you are right. Just change the bank details so they are show properly. About the logo, find the URL to it and replace the file in your server. Anyway just be careful with the licence as removing it maybe not allowed.

Cheers

Magento Community
Magento Community

trinayj

Total Posts:  7

Thankyou for your quick reply!
I just wanted to clarify what you mean…

I do have a backup of all the files - I have downloaded using ftp. Is this the kind of back-up you are talking about or is there something in Magento that you backup from?

Thanks,
TJ

Magento Community
Magento Community

MagentoReady

Total Posts:  19

You are welcome.

the backup has to be done from your control panel as full web site backup. It is not just coping the files you have as there are some configuration files you won’t get and the backup won’t be done in a way that can be restored from another panel.

If you have done it in this way it should work if its compatible with the new panel.

cheers

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community