Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Need help getting started. 

o3world1000

Total Posts:  9

New to working with Magento here and I’m having some issues figuring out how to get started creating my own theme.  I’m running the Enterprise edition version 1.8 and can’t find any documentation that actually covers this version and it’s getting real frustrating.

Just about everything I’ve read says (Design Guide) to duplicate the directories “app/design/frontend/default/default” and “skin/frontend/default/default” and rename them to create my new theme.  Some say to rename only the second “default” directory, some say rename both.  Regardless of what they say...I don’t have a “default/default” directory setup in my version.  I have “base/default” and “enterprise/default”...but no “default/default”.

To make things even more confusing other things I’ve read (Magento Wiki) say not to duplicate any directories at all.

Can someone point me in the direction of a definitive guide to starting a custom theme build in Enterprise edition 1.8?  Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

worldwisewebs

I’ve run into the same thing .. the two links you posted seem to be completely conflicting with each other.  The Designer’s Guide is a lot easier to understand but the wiki contains a lot of warnings about update compatibility and it makes me wonder if it represents the latest conventional wisdom.  I’m having a hard time understanding how to do move blocks around with the xml remove and add methods, whereas the copy a template and edit it method seems to be relatively simple, though possibly not future proof.

Any gurus around who can shed any light on this topic?  I am afraid the answer will lead to still more questions…

Magento Community
Magento Community

sherrie

Total Posts:  1655
Waterloo, ON

I tend to duplicate either default or blank theme files as I need them. They won’t be upgrade compatible depending on what changes are made in the upgrade. You’ll have to manually go through the theme and adjust it. The way Magento tends to upgrade, tho, there’s really no way around this.

Magento Community
Magento Community

o3world1000

Thanks for the pointers.  Got any tips or references for getting started building custom layouts/templates?  The documentation isn’t all that helpful so far.  Most of my pages are going to have to be customized probably from the ground up as there are very few, if any, pre-built layouts/templates that I can simply re-style or make minor edits to.

Magento Community
Magento Community

sherrie

Waterloo, ON

Have you looked at the blank theme? When I want to start “from the ground up” I generally start there with Magento, it’s just easier than figuring out what elements need to be where to interact with what.

Magento Community
Magento Community

o3world1000

Where can I find this “blank” theme.  Is that the same as the “base” theme that comes with my Enterprise install?

Magento Community
Magento Community

sherrie

Waterloo, ON

It’s not the same as the base - I’m not sure how Enterprise works, if you can use the same themes or not, but it’s in Magento Connect. It’s released by Varien. It basically has absolutely no design, just the basic elements.

Magento Community
Magento Community

o3world1000

Nice, thanks for the tip.  I’ll look around and see if i can get a hold of it.

Magento Community
Magento Community

o3world1000

Found a few results for “blank theme” in the Magento Connect.  Are you referring to the “Yoast Blank SEO Theme” found here http://www.magentocommerce.com/magento-connect/Yoast/extension/974/yoast-blank-seo-theme?

Magento Community
Magento Community

o3world1000

Eh, nevermind.  Everything I’m finding in here seems to be for the community edition.  “Enterprise” isn’t even a selectable filter under “By Version” on the right hand menu.  Bummer.

Magento Community
Magento Community

sherrie

Waterloo, ON

Well, you could either try modifying a copy of the default theme, or just play around with it for awhile to get a feel of how it works and then build your own. Sorry I can’t be of more help!

Magento Community
Magento Community

o3world1000

No problem at all, I totally appreciate the help and the effort.  Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community