Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

getting started

alethien

Total Posts:  13

I like to think that I am pretty good with this type of application as I went to college for computer science.

I have read all the guides and watched some screen cast. So with my new store I added some test items to a test site. My problems is that the top nav does not show up with my categories.

My setup is super simple. I installed Magento and kept the default config of website, store, view. Am I missing something on getting started? Do I have to edit html just to get the top nav up and running?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Voot

Total Posts:  261
Long Beach, CA

When you start creating products and categories, make sure to add them under the root folder. Depending on your version it should be called “Default Category”. Once you have it under that root folder, all of the categories and products will show up. I still til this day wonder why they didnt mention that under any of the screencast…

Magento Community
Magento Community

alethien

Total Posts:  13

Thank you. That did the trick. My next question is. I switched to the blue theme they have for download. The problem is that it only works on the home page. Once I go into a catagory it goes back into the default theme. How do I make blue the default and only theme? The new blue theme also works for the cart, and login screens and whatnot. Only the catagory and product pages are in the old theme.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community