Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Custom Weight Units Per Category? 

zoddy

Total Posts:  1
Australia

I am trying to create a cart that can do the following:

Multiple types of product categories, with each category being measured in a different weight and quantity.

For example, my store sells (as an example, and probably a bad example - but the outcome is the same):
Washing power, fabric softener and washing machines

I want to be able to sell washing power in gram amounts, eg: a shopper can buy 100 grams, or 5 kilograms of powder. So the quantity in this instance would be the weight in grams. The same for softener, only in millilitres & litres. Lastly I also like to offer the machines in single units, eg: 1 machine, 2 machines and their weight be measured in kilograms (for the purposes of calculating shipping).

Is this possible, as I am really struggling trying to configure this up in the admin tool. I tried creating a custom attribute set for each of the three main types and creating associated custom attributes also but it was very confusing setting pricing and trying to add quantities to the cart so I’d like some help please.

I also apologise about the units of measurement, but I’m Australian and thats what we use here smile

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

mayerwin

Total Posts:  182
France

Up ! I’m also looking for help on how to do that. Or at least to know what is the default “weight” unit.
Thank you

Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1770
Los Angeles

@mayerwin: The default weight unit is LB (pound)

@zoddy: let me make sure that I understand the question correctly.

You wish to give customers ability to buy washing powder in grams, meaning one qty is a gram, 5000 is a 5kg.

The softeners will be sold in milliliters, so qty 1 is 1ml and 2000 is 2 liters.

if I’m correct until now, the I do not see the complications with price calculation for the product itself.

Now, the shipping. Do you intend on using Magento integrated carrier, or will have flat rates? Which units your carrier will receive for calculation?

Magento Community
Magento Community

invitro59

Total Posts:  58

Hi

@moshe:

I think what they are asking in a common problem encountered by ecommerce user selling by weight.

Let say you sell powder, any kind ;o)

you have in stock 10 000 grams = 10 kg

you sell that product in different quantities

10 gr bags
50 gr bags
100 gr bags
500 gr bags
1 kg bags

This means when a customers buys 5x10gr and 2x100gr bags your stocks decrease from 250 gr so this leaves you with 9 750 grams in stock.
But usually this type of ecommerce sells also products by unit or ml.

This method would help keeping acurate stock without having to create one article for each item and missing sale when one is our of stock, as it is easy when you are out of 10gr bags to use a 500gr bags left and divide it 50x10gr bags, also if there is only 50gr left customers are not able to buy 100gr or more quantities.

Personally I never was able to make this work on OSCommerce, just start to touch to attributes can give headaches. May be Magento will be able to do this. Did not try Magento yet, but it looks very professional.

Patrick from France

PS: - I would love to change the world, but they won’t give me the source code - !!!!!!!!!  I wish I could Help :o( !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1770
Los Angeles

@invitro59: I think bundles functionality will help you. We will work on bundles after the 1.0 release.

So, you will have a simple product representing stock of 1 gram.
And you have bundles containing 10, 50, 100, 500, 1000 qty of this product, each bundle priced differently, and the stock is updated only for one simple product above.

Magento Community
Magento Community

invitro59

@moshe : Thank you for your answer, I will keep an eye on this thread weekly and update when needed if I make this work, but if you need anything feel free to ask.

I used to live for 5 years in the bay area so my english is pretty good now. Had to come back to France, US did not want to give us a green card :o( , otherwise we would still live overthere.

So If you encounter any problem related with FRENCH feel free to contact me by PM

Best regards
invitro59

Magento Community
Magento Community

invitro59

Hi

I keep trying to make this work but do not make it.

I was able to create 3 individual items and bundle them. One 250g, one 500g and one 1kg

What I cannot figure out is where do I have to place stock.

I have a 25 kg bag and 3 items with different weight, so customers can buy any one of the 3 and the 25 kg stock has to decrease.

I was not able to understand moshe’s trick

Magento Community
Magento Community

splotch

Total Posts:  3

@invitro59: I believe what Moshe is suggesting is to make one “Simple Product” with a 1g weight, and then set the stock for that item. In your case it would be 25000 units. Then create three “Bundled products” based on that “Simple Product”. One with a quantity of 250, one with a quantity of 500 and one with a quantity of 1000. The stock is all handled by the Simple Product, but the user sees three options. I haven’t tried it myself, but I believe that will do the trick.

Good luck.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community