Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Adding New Product Tabs on Modern Theme

Franky Pang

Total Posts:  1

For those stuck with this problem like me, here is the solution.  I spent hours to figure out that you need “<?” at the beginning of the Included.php file...hope this help

altapower - 22 January 2009 11:02 AM

New kid on the block here to Magento.

I tried the instructions above and am now getting the following error.

class Mage_Catalog_Block_Product_View_Included extends Mage_Core_Block_Template { protected $_product = null; function getProduct() { if (!$this->_product) { $this->_product = Mage::registry(’product’); } return $this->_product; } } class Mage_Catalog_Block_Product_View_Included extends Mage_Core_Block_Template { protected $_product = null; function getProduct() { if (!$this->_product) { $this->_product = Mage::registry(’product’); } return $this->_product; } }
Fatal error: Class ‘Mage_Catalog_Block_Product_View_Included’ not found in /home/enertcom/public_html/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Layout.php on line 461

And ideas? Thanks so much in advance.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

misagarcia

Total Posts:  33

Hey guys… I finally figured out what the problem was and it seems like it might the same issues a lot of us are havin’.  There’s a cache that needs to emptied before some changes actually take effect.  When working on some of these files, make sure you empty it out before you continue to test out stuff and see any changes.  That was my biggest problem when tryin’ to get the tabs to work.

You can flush the cache by deleting all files in your var/cache directory thru ftp

Hope this helps.

Magento Community
Magento Community

arman1

Total Posts:  6

Hi every one,
this was the most wonderful tips for me. However I am not able to make it work.
This is the url to my website: http://www2.intexrecreation.com/store/

I tried to do the steps, but instead of showing the tabs, it just made all the descriptions to disappear.

I really appreciate for any help and the steps to make the tabs work.

Thank you so much.

Magento Community
Magento Community

kohtut

Total Posts:  10

Great post! Thank you all.
I’m using Hellowired Theme and I use the following code:

app/design/frontend/default/hellowired/layout/catalog.xml

<action method="addTab" translate="title" module="catalog"><alias>maps</alias><title>Maps &ampAttractions</title><block>catalog/product_view</block><template>catalog/product/view/maps.phtml</template></action>

/public_html/offers/app/design/frontend/base/default/template/catalog/product/view/maps.phtml

<?php if(count($this->getProduct()->getMaps())): ?>
<div class="product-specs">
<?php echo $this->getProduct()->getMaps() ?>
</div>
<?php endif ?>

/public_html/offers/app/code/core/Mage/Catalog/Block/Product/View/Maps.php

<?php
class Mage_Catalog_Block_Product_View_Maps extends Mage_Core_Block_Template
{

protected $_product null;

function 
getProduct()

{

if (!$this->_product{
            $this
->_product Mage::registry('product');

}

return $this->_product;

}
}

regards,
kohtut

Magento Community
Magento Community

ofeldman

Very useful thread and very helpful.  Everything works great for me.  Except....
Internet Explorer 9 came along and will not allow me to change tabs unless I click on “compatibility mode”

I’m going through the list of changes in IE 9 and so far hasn’t been able to pin point the culprit. 

Has anyone figured it out already?

Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

ofeldman

OK, I found the solution to the IE 9 problem.

As explained here you need to upgrade the Prototype script /js/prototype/prototype.js to the latest version (1.7).
I’ve replaced the script on my test server and now the tabs are working even in IE 9.  I have yet to find any problems caused by this upgrade, but I’m still testing.

cheers

Magento Community
Magento Community

aaron3

ofeldman, I tried upgrading to Prototype.js 1.7.0.0.  It fixed a problem I was having with IE9 users - they weren’t able to enter credit card information on checkout.  However, it prevented administrative users of Magento’s interface from adding products to an order.  I’m still looking for a good solution.  I’m using Magento EE 1.9.0.0

Magento Community
Magento Community

chrisharper

Total Posts:  5

This will work or you have tried to make this work for an attribute group, I know. For Example. Fields that contain value, weight, etc., with properties such as height, width, as a group. The name of the group name (properties) tab will be assigned to the group displays the all items.

Magento Community
Magento Community

webscot

Total Posts:  192

solved - msg removed.

Magento Community
Magento Community

hrishikesh

Total Posts:  4

great example.
but i have a question, where to set the Ingredients value for particular product. I want admin will set this value on product add page, for this

I created an attribute in admin panel for this and added their value on product adding page. but i have no luck to get this entered on tap on Ingredients.

Please help me i need it .............................

Magento Community
Magento Community

Joel87

Total Posts:  54

What exactly do i have to change to remove a video tab or additional information tab when its not in use or has no information to be shown? There are some products where a certain tab is essential, but there is also some products where it is not needed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Magento Community
Magento Community

myst67

Total Posts:  3

Guys i just want to know how i make a tab in button of the product view page.Actually i wont understands these code.I just want to make a tab in in three attributes that is Key Features,Product Dimensions and Care Instructions.I used easy tabs extension from magento connect but its not working..Please help me guys..

Magento Community
Magento Community

toby19

Total Posts:  2

I have managed to use the example at the beginning of this post and the ingredient tab shows up fine but if I click on the tab it does nothing and I’m guessing that has something to do with the <div class="product-specs">. I’ve tried pasting text into the phtml but nothing . Does anyone know how to add content to that tab? Can I set it to a static block?

Tab appearing in my site: http://s413559074.onlinehome.us/magento/accord-1.html

Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

azharfarooq

Total Posts:  2

Step 1:
create a file with test name “test.phtml” in the path
/app/design/frontend/default/your theme/template/catalog/product/view/

test.phtml

Step 2:

Go to /app/design/frontend/default/your theme/layout/catalog.xml
find
<block type="catalog/product_view_tabs" name="product.info.tabs" as="info_tabs" template="catalog/product/view/tabs.phtml" >

add this code

<action method="addTab" translate="title" module="catalog"><alias>test</alias><title>Test Tab</title><block>catalog/product_view_test</block><template>catalog/product/view/test.phtml</template></action>

Step:3

app/code/core/Mage/Catalog/Block/Product/View

add a new file with Name Test.php

and place this code in it

<?php
class Mage_Catalog_Block_Product_View_Test extends Mage_Core_Block_Template
{
}
?>

Refresh Detail page , Hope that its will work for u

Magento Community
Magento Community

radu.gherga

Hi,

Someone please tell me how can I choose which attributes are displayed under the Additional Information tab.
I also have an Ingredients and a Usage tab, but the information in them also appears in the Additional Information tab.

Thank you,
Radu

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community