Magento Forum

Rental Queue / Reservation System Plugin Development

lfeistel

Total Posts:  2

I am working on a project that will need a Rental Queue / Reservation System for equipment. The equipment comes in individual items, which have a set quantity in inventory. The equipment can also come in Packages (or Bundles) which are combinations of items that people usually want to rent together. So I need the system to be able to determine availability on a given date for items and/or packages. It’s a pretty typical business model for this kind of company.

I know there are a few products out there off the shelf that can do some parts of this but we are interested in developing something new that will really hit this need squarely. The site itself will, of course, share much in common with the appearance and functionality of a Magento eCommerce site. We are interested in all the product navigation, photos, recommendations, reviews, discounts, etc. However, Magento does not appear to have this functionality built in and I have not seen any plugins that claim to do this either. If I am wrong on this point, I would appreciate any pointers to information.

I am also interested in understanding better how I would be able to develop a plugin / extension for Magento that might add this functionality so I can leverage the coolness of Magento and also meet this need. How would I get started on learning how to develop a plugin extension for Magento? Are there any resources out there anyone would recommend for me to get started? Perhaps some good example plugin code that shows me how to integrate something into it? Also, is there some detailed documentation for the code or would anyone have an idea of what classes I should look to extend from to make this come together? What is the philosophy of Magento in terms of backward compatibility with future releases?

Thanks,
Lee

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

lfeistel

Hello, perhaps I asked too many questions in my opening post. I’ll boil it down to these:

a) Is there a Rental Queue / Reservation System for Magento? If not, are there plans for it in the future?
b) Is this something I could write into a plugin for Magento, which would be maintainable? i.e. Is there a good way to do plugins?
c) Is there a guide or example on how best to get started writing such a plugin?

Does anyone, especially someone from Varien have any thoughts? Just trying to get started thinking about if Magento could work for us.

Thanks,
Lee

Magento Community
Magento Community

cliffdangler

Johannesburg

Hi Lee,

I’ve asked Varien the same questions - actually asked them to quote me to extend the system to do this.

No reply yet - I’m sure they are very busy at present. I’ve also tried googling to find an alternative (e-commerce system), but none seem to do what we want. I’ve come to the conclusion that I’d rather build my own bespoke system for my client. I’d hate to use any system, try patching it to my needs and then it breaks. There’s also very limited documentation for Magento, so it’s pretty risky from my side.

Magento Community
Magento Community

worleyworks

I’m looking for the same thing and not finding any options.  Also considering how to make a solution.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mike B.

Total Posts:  5

I am interested in participating on a project.  I know how to write code.  Does anyone else on this thread know how to write code?

Magento Community
Magento Community

worleyworks

Python beginner. 
Interested in working on this project.

Magento Community
Magento Community

jpic

Total Posts:  4

What’s the status of the project? (And: I code)

Magento Community
Magento Community

gryklin

Has there been any progress to this?

Magento Community
Magento Community

jmwohl

Total Posts:  1

I’m another developer interested in this project… I might start working on it a bit in the coming months.

Magento Community
Magento Community

bloggento
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  850

we are do program for rent with magento. we can try there here . magento rent
contact site magento

Magento Community
Magento Community

theconsul

Total Posts:  5

is there any update on this?

i am also looking for a script like magento with numerous options and rental possibilities, not only for cars or real estate, but small products

Magento Community
Magento Community

SalesIgniter

Total Posts:  8

We have developed a rental module that does most of what you need, checkout my signature for details about it. It is very powerful and will support both pay per rentals and a rental queue.

We can customize it if you need.

Magento Community
Magento Community

FMEExtensions
Mentor

Total Posts:  1147

FME has launched a Reservation system for Magento.

Have a look at the details here: http://www.fmeextensions.com/magento-bookings-reservations-3.html

Magento Community
Magento Community

Apptha_Team

Total Posts:  11

It is very easier to build a reservation system on magento website using booking script. You can find the live demo below and find whether the script suits your requirement.
Live Demo : http://www.apptha-demo.com/extensions/anybooking/

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community