Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Cannot position Left Navigation panel above CMS block

jaime

Total Posts:  79

Hi folks,

Trying to design my particular new theme, I spent around 3,5 hours yesterday trying to locate my left navigation over a CMS block also located on the left column. The CMS block is just a big picture (‘Logo_VCA’)

I have been moving blocks around to personalise my theme. After I moved the ‘currency’ block to the header, suddenly the CMS block was positioned automatically above my left navigation. And I cannot move it below my navigation (see doc. -image 1; I have also attached the local ‘catalog.xml’ file copied to my theme-folder).

I have tried several things:

****OPTION 1.  In my local ‘catalog.xml’ file I have modified in ## Default layout, loads most of the pages ## the line 53 (<reference name="left">) and copied:

<block type="catalog/navigation" name="catalog.leftnav" template="catalog/navigation/left.phtml"/>

(I have attached modified file, renamed as ‘catalog.xml’)

The result is that I have 2 Left Navigation panels, one above and one below the CMS-block (see .doc. -image 2)

****OPTION 2.  In my local ‘catalog.xml’ file I have modified in ## Default layout, loads most of the pages ## the line 53 (inside <reference name="left">) and copied:

<block type="catalog/navigation" name="catalog.leftnav" template="catalog/navigation/left.phtml"/>

In ## Category default layout ## line 94 (<reference name="left”>) I have deleted following statement:

<block type="catalog/navigation" name=”catalog.leftnav” template="catalog/navigation/left.phtml"/>

(I have attached modified file, renamed as ‘catalog.xml’)

The result is the same as OPTION 1.: I have 2 Left Navigation panels, one above and one below the CMS-block (see .doc. -image 2).

****OPTION 3.  Same changes as in OPTION 1, but this time I have also modified in ## Category layered navigation layout ## the line 137 (inside <reference name="left">) deleting following line:

<block type="catalog/layer_view" name="catalog.leftnav" template="catalog/layer/view.phtml

This time I have only one navigation panel above my CMS block, actually what I wanted. The problem is that half of the navigation panel has been deleted! (see .doc. -image 3).

What am I doing wrong?
Which files should I change?

What is the difference between files catalog/layer/view.phtml and catalog/navigation/top.phtml

Thanks for any help!!!!!!

Jaime.

File Attachments
Doc_Screenshots.pdf  (File Size: 472KB - Downloads: 135)
catalog4.xml  (File Size: 25KB - Downloads: 54)
catalog3.xml  (File Size: 25KB - Downloads: 73)
catalog2.xml  (File Size: 25KB - Downloads: 40)
catalog.xml  (File Size: 25KB - Downloads: 67)

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community