Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Suggestion for Magneto Marketing

mgm_03

Total Posts:  3

One of the primary considerations for both developers and clients is cart customization.  Anything you can do to show the ease with which Magneto can be customized will increase your user base.  For example, show a video clip or even screen shots of a common customization (meaning the code itself). Currently, many developers will see an ecommerce website, send the company an email and ask, which cart did you use, was it easy to customize, and would you used it again, how about support?

If you can address some of these it would ease anxiety before we actually begin coding.

Also, live demos are great. I also suggest more screenshots of both front and back end. Why? because a new developer/user will be unfamiliar with the cart and interfaces/controls/features. Rather than leaving them on their own to poke around, show *all* of the different screens - with example data - in a gallery/album.  I mention this because Avactis just released a new version and their site now has many new screenshots (also their documentation shows screenshots of code tags). A secondary benefit may be fewer support requests or FAQ.

I’m looking forward to using Magneto.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

Thanks! We appreciate the feedback and we’ll defintely take it into consideration.

Magento Community
Magento Community

mgm_03

Total Posts:  3

Disregard my comments....If I had taken a few minutes to explore the Magneto site before pulling the trigger, I would have seen that you are a few steps ahead of me. Nicely done.

Magento Community
Magento Community

iblastoff

Total Posts:  252

another good idea is to not call magento “magneto”

Magento Community
Magento Community

Greens

Total Posts:  6

Ha! Magneto is a comic book character. I’ve mis-spelled it as well.

I agree that marketing and training info is critical. I’m just getting started looking through materials, but what I’ve seen looks good. I’m not an advanced designer or developer, so it still looks rather daunting right now. So the more documentation, examples, and training, the better. Enable your users up front and that itself will serve as excellent marketing. And users include the not-so-technical store owners as well as designers and developers.

Not sure if it would be possible, but It would be great to have occasional (free) online seminars where Magento folks demonstrate and discuss particular features or tasks. Maybe the 3rd whatever-day of each month, or on an as-available basis. Send invitations to the email list, and record the session for playback on the support site. This would create a nice library of self-help videos.

Sessions don’t need to be anything formal or scripted - just jot some notes and walk through a topic. Maybe have a followup post on the forums to discuss any resulting Qs.

Anyone else like that idea? Or is that too much for the Magento gang to take on with everything else going on?

---edit---
Just found the screencasts - excellent! Not sure how I missed them before, but as I said… just getting started.

Magento Community
Magento Community

iblastoff

Total Posts:  252

by ‘free seminars’ do you mean the multiple educational screencasts already available?

as for customization, quite honestly i don’t think your typical not-so-technical store owner would be able to do this at all even with free online seminars. they’re gonna have to have a very good understanding of at LEAST xhtml/css let alone further understanding content/layout blocks via xml etc etc. good luck explaining the zend framework to someone who doesn’t even have an inkling of what php is.

they are the ones most likely to just use magentos default themes or grab a ready-made theme when they’re available. or of course pay developers like us to do it for them.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community