Magento Forum

[ SOLVED ] How do I get a formatted validation message that I know was added to the review/session? 

HAL10001

Total Posts:  52
Ann Arbor, MI

I’m so close on this, but I just can’t figure out how to get the message off the session. If I do this, I can see the message:

<?php

$review_session 
Mage::getModel('review/session');

var_dump$review_session );

?>

Basically, I’m on the product page, trying to get a review/session message, so I need to figure out how to replace “$this” with the appropriate object. It should look something like:

<?php echo $review_session->getMessagesBlock()->getGroupedHtml() ?>

I tried to set $review_session as getSingleton and getModel for various objects, but none of them seem to have a getMessagesBlock() method available.

Can someone help me figure this out? Thanks!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

LeeSaferite
Guru

Total Posts:  322
Lake City, FL

$messages Mage::getSingleton('review/session')->getMessages();
/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Message/Collection.php

Magento Community
Magento Community

HAL10001

Ann Arbor, MI

Hi Lee,

Thanks for the response. Sorry, I should have been more clear in my post. I can get the messages, but I need to get it formatted, just like this:

<?php echo $this->getMessagesBlock()->getGroupedHtml() ?>

If you look at getGroupedHtml(), you can see how it formats the messaging nicely. I need to take the message I have, which we know is appearing in review/session, and figure out how to get from that to getMessagesBlock()->getGroupedHtml().

Magento Community
Magento Community

HAL10001

Ann Arbor, MI

Can anyone help out with this? I know the message exists, and has been added to the session, and I can get it as text. However, I want it as it is pulled from the block, formatted, just like when you use:

$this->getMessagesBlock()->getGroupedHtml()

I’ve managed to figure out that the class that “gets” the message is Mage_Review_Block_List_Detailed. I just can’t figure out how Magento associates a block with a message on the session. Mage_Core_Block_Abstract is the class that owns the method getMessagesBlock(), and Mage_Review_Block_List_Detailed extends that class. However, how do I call this class in such a way that I can call getMessagesBlock()?

The reason I need to do this is because I moved all product reviews and the form onto the product details page. Everything works fine, I can page reviews, and even submit a review. However, when I submit a review I get no confirmation message. That is because the confirmation message is associated with Mage_Review_Block_List_Detailed, and not Mage_Catalog_Block_Product_View (the product page).

Thanks.

Magento Community
Magento Community

HAL10001

Ann Arbor, MI

I don’t know if this is the best solution, but it is the solution that worked for me based upon what I’ve dissected in the core. I took the messages I knew could be added to the review/session and I added them to the messages block for the current object before calling getGroupedHtml(). It looks like this:

<?php

$this
->getLayout()->getMessagesBlock()->setMessages(Mage::getSingleton('review/session')->getMessages(true));
echo 
$this->getMessagesBlock()->getGroupedHtml();

?>

Magento Community
Magento Community

miked2004

Total Posts:  214
Atlanta, Georgia

@ hal - Thanks for posting your solution. I found my self in a similar predicament. I created a custom module and could not get the messages showing up. using your hack worked for me. although I would like to figure out why

echo $this->getMessagesBlock()->getGroupedHtml()
did not work. Must not have set something up incorrectly.

Magento Community
Magento Community

quanza

Total Posts:  97
Tokyo, Japan

How would I get just the array of messages as text?  I don’t like how it’s styled, and would like an opportunity to filter the text before it’s displayed in a template ...

Magento Community
Magento Community

nikola99

Total Posts:  47

You can rewrite app/code/core/Mage/Core/Block/Messages.php to change the HTML in the messages, however, you’d probably be best off using CSS.

In case someone else stumbles upon this. I had to turn the cart into a request a quote. in order for this to work I had to change the confirmation message when an item is added to the cart ("Something was successfully added to your shopping cart/quote.")

I changed app/design/frontend/nti/default/template/checkout/cart.phtml

I replaced this

<?php echo $this->getMessagesBlock()->getGroupedHtml() ?>

with this

<?php echo str_replace('shopping cart'strtolower($title), $this->getMessagesBlock()->getGroupedHtml()) ?>

Magento Community
Magento Community

sachu777

Total Posts:  2

Thanks a million @HAL10001 that code worked for me .......

Magento Community
Magento Community

Ricardo_Martins

Total Posts:  47
Santos, SP, Brazil

HAL10001 - 08 October 2008 04:40 PM

I don’t know if this is the best solution, but it is the solution that worked for me based upon what I’ve dissected in the core. I took the messages I knew could be added to the review/session and I added them to the messages block for the current object before calling getGroupedHtml(). It looks like this:

<?php

$this
->getLayout()->getMessagesBlock()->setMessages(Mage::getSingleton('review/session')->getMessages(true));
echo 
$this->getMessagesBlock()->getGroupedHtml();

?>

It worked very well for me either in the customer/session blocks.
Thank you very much.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community