Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 2 of 2
Real Time inventory sync for a POS

saho

Total Posts:  52

They do not have a custom build, they offer all of the files needed to do upload download but the code needs tweaking towards magento.  I would be happy to share that code if anyone signed up with them.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

SpeedBird

Total Posts:  85

I also require a real-time inventory sync similar to the OP.

My current setup is:

1. Dedicated Server (remote) running Magento
2. Local server running POS (Linnworks)
3. 30+ local clients accessing POS

Linnworks can sync with Magento out-of-the-box, but is not real-time and I have found the Magento synchronisation very hit-and-miss.

Here is what I am considering:

1. New local server running a copy of our website (complete copy, not just database).
2. Local website is updated real-time with live website using LFTP/MirrorFTP & MySQL replication.
3. New webserver-based POS on existing local server that will use the Magento API to retrieve orders from the local website copy and will also store orders from telesales/shop staff.

An advantage to the above setup is I will also have a redundant backup webserver simply by adding an A record to our domain name (though this really will be a dire emergency backup - however in two years of being with our current hosts we haven’t needed it).

Has anyone used either LFTP or MirrorFTP to replicate Magento’s directory structure between remote hosts (or is it possible to use rsync over SSH which I would much prefer)? Or has anyone used MySQL replication to keep a remote copy of Magento’s data in real-time?

I am probably more interested in whether the MySQL replication would be worthwhile as having a local copy of the data updated in real-time is the most important step for me at the moment.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Ron Peled

Total Posts:  18
Los Angeles

Hey Guys,

perhaps I can help. We currently offer a real time integration between Magento and a POS system called RunIt. We have just released version 1.7 which includes a bunch of new features that we are totally excited about! While we currently have some very successfull stores running in such integrated Magento sites we are looking to expand and wondering which systems most coat your attention. What systems do you work with?

Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

DrBillNye

Total Posts:  96
Boulder, CO

3 grand a year, are you serious?  That’s hardly a solution.  Come back when you’re ready to help us come up with solutions rather than trying to bend us over a barrel.  That doesn’t help me at all.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Ron Peled

Los Angeles

Look, this is obviously is not targeted for every Magento merchant out there. Our customers either have websites that do over $200K/year with some reaching $10M/year or they want to reach these goals in the near future. Any online merchant that is doing well will agree that inventory management is one of the most essential features if you want to keep growing your business.

This magento extension will make sure that you never sell what you do not have, and all the updates are in real time. The integration also allows a merchant to share inventory from multiple brick and mortar locations at the same time onto one website and make sure that if the last item was purchased in one of the stores it will set the item online to ‘out of stock’. The extension also imports your catalog from the POS - so you do not need to re-enter items manually into Magento.

There are many other small details that you can use when you become a RunIt customer, but for that you’ll need to speak with them. We provide your Magento integration and we will keep adding features so stay tuned.

-Ron

Magento Community
Magento Community

DrBillNye

Boulder, CO

I understand the concept or real time inventory, thx.  But this is a forum for users to help users, not for you to try and push your product, let alone a product that you want a recurring 3k payment for.  If you were offering it for a reasonable price it wouldn’t be as big of a deal, but 3k for a php call on a sale event doesn’t flesh out to well imo.

For everyone else, I about have a QB Pro script that will run an update to decrement inventory numbers on the event of a sale.  If anyone wants to help finish the code, let me know, as I’m lacking in free time.

Cheers,
Al

Magento Community
Magento Community

Ron Peled

Los Angeles

I’m sorry, the reason I came and responded to this thread is because I am interested in learning what other systems out there people would be interested in using. The more people use it and buy it, the better the price will get.

The extension actually does a lot more than simply ‘call on sale event’ - that I agree does not justify the price.

Anyway, I wish you a happy new year and a ton of success!

Magento Community
Magento Community

DrBillNye

Boulder, CO

god bless ron.

Magento Community
Magento Community

unionsurfera

Total Posts:  5

Hello All,

I am desperately seeking a solution to integrate my magento store with my online store via a POS software that is compatible with MAC.  Does anyone know of any software?  POS IM works?

I appreciate any feedback!  Thank you so much!

Magento Community
Magento Community

unionsurfera

saho - 15 October 2010 05:22 AM

They do not have a custom build, they offer all of the files needed to do upload download but the code needs tweaking towards magento.  I would be happy to share that code if anyone signed up with them.

Saho, can you send me the info on how to connect magento with POS IM? 

Thank you!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Synocom

Total Posts:  20
Rotterdam, Netherlands

We also have been looking into the POS extension which is available for Magento and it looks quite good. However we are still question if a store is willing to trade in his (more advanced software) for the Magento POS software.

But for stores without any it’s a great solution.

Magento Community
Magento Community

unionsurfera

synocom - 24 January 2011 12:56 PM

We also have been looking into the POS extension which is available for Magento and it looks quite good. However we are still question if a store is willing to trade in his (more advanced software) for the Magento POS software.

But for stores without any it’s a great solution.

Im not sure i understand...are you saying that magento does have a pos extension?  but for which software? pos im?  and where is the extension?

Magento Community
Magento Community

cjplotts

Total Posts:  20

Glancing through this thread I can offer a whole solution. I have written for our store a complete P.O.S. system that is integrated into our Magento site as well.  Anytime a sale is made in-store the online database is synced.  Receiving stock, adding a picture, changing a description are all automatically updated to the site.  Since we run all of the sales (including online) through the P.O.S. there was no need to have Magento talk back to the store. 
We are currently offering the P.O.S. software for a one time cost of $999.99 if this is on any interest please feel free to email me for more information.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ladle

Total Posts:  173

ruzreed - 27 February 2011 07:59 PM

It does not look like the inventory sync’s, just the financial part.We are using QB POS 6 with Ent 10, and POS takes charge of the inventory.It moves all the items onto POS, and will not sync after the first-time setup.T-HUB is a poorly written piece of software, it’s confusing,and doesn’t always work like it’s supposed to.Trying to get support from Atandra is just met with requests for us to buy another support plan.

Switch to ECC from webgility.com

Magento Community
Magento Community

SpeedBird

Total Posts:  85

I’m back on this after working on other projects.

For me personally, the POS system itself isn’t the immediate problem - it is keeping a local copy of the inventory/orders/invoices etc. synchronised with Magento’s data in real time. I think the OP has/had the same problem.

This can be painfully slow using the Magento API over an internet connection - and slower still if you have to wait for your POS software to then update itself with the new data. My solution to this is to use circular replication in MySQL:

1. I will have a copy of my Magento database on a local server.
2. MySQL will be configured on the webserver to be a master and slave replication node to my local Magento database.
3. MySQL will be configured on my local server to be a master and slave replication node to the Magento database on my webserver.

For the above to work, I will need to take care of autoincrement values as discussed here:

Advanced MySQL Replication Techniques.

Updating the data via circular replication should be much quicker over the internet than doing so at the application level - and also offers a level of redundancy. If the internet connection fails at the retail premises the POS system will still work ‘offline’ from the local copy - which will automatically synchronise it’s data with the webserver once the internet connection is restored. Similarly, if the webserver goes offline or loses it’s internet connection the POS system can still continue to operate and the webserver will synchronise it’s own data with the data at the retail premises once it can reconnect.

This solution could be used at multiple retail premises - or even across multiple webservers as a performance or redundancy solution.

Anyway, I need it get replication working between my webserver and my local server before I get too excited. I’ll post my results here.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 2 of 2