Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Is it possible for each store to use different language files? 

tjscgroup

Total Posts:  146
United Kingdom

Hi

Is it possible for each store to use different language files?

For example, could i have one store being UK focused using the words “Shopping Basket” and one US focused using the words “Shopping Cart” on website/in emails?

If this is possible, can changes be made via the admin section?

Many thanks in anticipation

Toby

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

tjscgroup

United Kingdom

So...to half answer myself, I believe:

Each store (or store view) can have its own website language files - System > Configuration > General > Locale options however changes to the actual language files cannot be done via the admin section.

However, it appears (from looking at the admin section - System > Transactional Emails) that email language files cannot be store (or store view) specific.  Is this correct?  I doubt it some how!!

Magento Community
Magento Community

tjscgroup

United Kingdom

So...to answer the second half

Visit System > Configuration > Sales > “Sales Emails”
and/or
Visit System > Configuration > Catalog > “Email to Friend”
and/or
Visit System > Configuration > Customers > “Wishlist”
and change the template that is used to send emails. 

New templates can be created in System > Transactional Emails

Perhaps I was just being a little slow...or perhaps some documentation would be good.

Hope this helps somebody else.

Toby

Magento Community
Magento Community

bignm

Total Posts:  19
Texas

Hi Toby,

You are partially right.  The trick is to create a set of language-specific transactional emails, and then plug them into the System > Configuration sections at the Store View level.  I would just leave the default ones to the supplied locale-specific templates.

However, a bug in Magento v1.1.6 in System > Configuration > Catalog > Email To A Friend does not allow “Send Product To A Friend” emails to be Store View specific, only Default and Website specific.  This means you can’t change the email based on language, which is what most people use the different Store Views for.

I have already reported this as a bug.

Tom

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community