Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Installing on a subdomain.. getting 404 not found. 

sneddo

Total Posts:  1

Hello all,

Im trying to install magento on a subdomain.

I have unpacked the magento files directly into the folder, but when I go to the site I get forwarded to http://subdomian.my-site.net/install/ but this is where I get a 404 not found,

any ideas what the problem could be?

would be grateful of any help.

Thank you

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

helpinghandhost

Total Posts:  171

Hi sneddo,

What does your .htaccess look like?

Magento Community
Magento Community

nivekiam

Total Posts:  30

I had the same problem.  I was downloading the .zip package and realized it didn’t have a .htaccess file in it.  At least the .htaccess file was not unpacked when I issued the unzip command at the shell prompt on my linux box.

I downloaded the tar.gz file and it worked fine after that (other than the inability to install under HTTPS).

I just downloaded the the ZIP of the latest version 0.6.1400 and it appears to have the .htaccess file in it.  Looks like this version is still broken for HTTPS installs though.  The CSS and JavaScript don’t load.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Michae1
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  826

nivekiam - 05 December 2007 08:07 AM

I had the same problem.  I was downloading the .zip package and realized it didn’t have a .htaccess file in it.  At least the .htaccess file was not unpacked when I issued the unzip command at the shell prompt on my linux box.

I downloaded the tar.gz file and it worked fine after that (other than the inability to install under HTTPS).

I just downloaded the the ZIP of the latest version 0.6.1400 and it appears to have the .htaccess file in it.  Looks like this version is still broken for HTTPS installs though.  The CSS and JavaScript don’t load.

Hi nivekiam,

What command do you use to uncompress zip files ? And what Linux do you have ?

Thank you.

Magento Community
Magento Community

nivekiam

Total Posts:  30

unzip on FreeBSD 6.2

I think I see the error of my ways when using the ZIP package of 0.6.13.  When I was playing around with Magento again this last weekend I unzipped into a directory and realized I wanted to move the files into another directory.  I did:

% mv magento\* otherdir\

I then noticed I didn’t have a .htaccess file, oops.  I keep forgetting the above command doesn’t move “hidden” files.  I’m not command-line jockey on Linux…

As I said, the .htaccess is in fact in 0.6.14100. I don’t have the old ZIP package of 0.6.13 to verify if the .htaccess file existed in that download.  If you’re asking about the broken HTTPS install, that has apparently been fixed for the next release per Moshe.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community