Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 2 of 2
magento 1.4.0.1 “unable set to payment method”

andrewo

Total Posts:  21

hi guys,

i had the same error when trying to pay via paypal (error="unable to create payment method” via a javascript pop-up message).

A bit of background on my set up:
1. i have a custom theme that’s based on the magento blank theme - i essentially copied over the blank theme wholesale into another directory and started changing things from there
2. i’m running magento 1.4..0.1 (not upgraded - vanilla)
3. the following extensions installed (as you can see it’s a vanilla installation)
Package Name Installed Actions Summary
Interface_Frontend_Default_Blank 1.3.3 (stable) This is a sample skeleton theme for Magento designers.
Lib_Google_Checkout 1.4.0.0 (stable) Google Checkout Library
Lib_Js_Calendar 1.51.0 (stable) Javascript Calendar for Magento
Lib_Js_Mage 1.4.0.1 (stable) Javascript Libraries for Magento
Lib_Js_Prototype 1.6.0.3.0 (stable) Prototype and Scriptaculous Javascript Libraries for Magento
Lib_PEAR 1.4.0.0 (stable) PEAR Library
Lib_Varien 1.4.0.0 (stable) Varien Library
Lib_ZF 1.9.6.0 (stable) Zend Framework
Lib_ZF_Locale 1.9.6.0 (stable) Zend Framework Locale
Mage_Core_Modules 1.4.0.1 (stable) Collection of Magento Core Modules

WHAT WORKED FOR ME:
after reading a couple of posts that pointed out this was a theme-related issue, and that centinel layout and templates were potentially involved, i deleted the following file (please back it up in case you need to put it back first)
/app/design/frontend/default/[your theme name]/layout/centinel.xml
after this i was able to go through to the paypal site

hope this helps someone - i’ve found this forum to be a lifesaver since i’ve started working with magento
Andrew smile

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

lurebeauty

Total Posts:  229

i have 1.4.2 and NONE of these fixes worked for me!  still getting “unable to set payment method” when i enter a credit card.
any fixes for 1.4.2?

Magento Community
Magento Community

launchbusiness

Total Posts:  5

On my site i just turned off the 3d card security settings and it takes out the need for the centinel api url. and it worked for me

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 2 of 2