Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Zen Cart refugee

TapTapper

Total Posts:  21
Hudson Valley, NY, US

Hi All

I’m a Zen Cart admin, hoping to move to Magento. 

A couple days ago I was hunting down a zc error in some forum and ran into a mention of Magento.  So I checked it out and boy does this look amazing!  I’m sooo SICK of that same old, same old look of zc sites (unless you pay $$$ for custom design etc).  I’m a data person and a coder, design and layout isn’t my thing.  I really like the way Magento looks out of the box.

Wish me luck!  btw I love the screencasts.

--Pat

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

yippie2009

Total Posts:  11

hey Pat,

Wondering how your conversion is going to Magento. I also was a ZenCart user, and to be honest I am not yet fully convinced that Magento is best for me. While there are certainly features that come stock in Magento (ability to slice and dice the catalog using store views, related products, cross selling, etc) that need to be added on in ZC, overall, besides a nice design sense that you mentioned, I am not so bowled over by what Magento offers.

I think my gripe is that the developers purposely left several basic customization methods out of the admin module (or yours truly has not found them yet). Coming from ZenCart, I could switch from 2 or 3 columns, add or suspend blocks at will, resize columns, etc all without having to touch the CSS or any PHP files.

While Magento is great for customization and flexibility, it’s not that great for beginners, as you do need to plunge into code in order to configure your page to look and behave the way you want it to. Maybe there are modules written for this ease of administration/configuration that I am looking for, but so far I haven’t seen any.

Conclusion after a mere three days is that Magento offers as much flexibility and possibly even a higher degree of options that ZenCart, but at the cost of excluding beginners (and possibly, deliberately so, in order to create a market for professional developers to fill the need.)

Just my two bits, maybe I’ll change over the next week as I start to find out how to accomplish what I want to do. Anyway, I’d be curious to know what you think about it vs ZenCart.

Cheers

yippie

Magento Community
Magento Community

MagneticOneTeam

Total Posts:  253
USA

TapTapper - 25 September 2008 03:52 PM

Hi All

I’m a Zen Cart admin, hoping to move to Magento. 

A couple days ago I was hunting down a zc error in some forum and ran into a mention of Magento.  So I checked it out and boy does this look amazing!  I’m sooo SICK of that same old, same old look of zc sites (unless you pay $$$ for custom design etc).  I’m a data person and a coder, design and layout isn’t my thing.  I really like the way Magento looks out of the box.

Wish me luck!  btw I love the screencasts.

--Pat

Pat

You may wish to use Cart2Cart - automated shopping cart migration service
www.shopping-cart-migration.com

The exact same thing will happen with any new cart that will gain some popularity - including Magento, default skins will become boring.
You should find good designer to create nice custom skin for your own store.

I agree with you - guys at Magento did great job smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

lesya

Total Posts:  23

Agree as to cart2cart - try this service, you won’t regret it. It automates data transfer and you’ll have your store up and running in no time.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Jeds

Total Posts:  6

A warning: re cart2cart.

I recently tried their demo assisted transfer (for OSCommerce). And someone used the FTP account to alter the credit card processing files of the live store to collect customer credit cards (sending them to a script hosted on another server).

Fortunately we caught it and fixed the files.

So either Cart2cart have a dodgy employee or their information collection is compromised.

If you do use their service - and the actual demo transfer worked fine and I was considering using it - make sure you check your files after or use a dummy server.

Edit: when I wrote this post I had not yet caught up with what the cart2cart rep had written in my thread regarding this issue. Savajr wrote there:

We have solved this problem at our end.

So hopefully the issue is resolved.

Magento Community
Magento Community

MagneticOneTeam

Total Posts:  253
USA

Jeds - 16 September 2010 02:46 PM

A warning: re cart2cart.

I recently tried their demo assisted transfer (for OSCommerce). And someone used the FTP account to alter the credit card processing files of the live store to collect customer credit cards (sending them to a script hosted on another server).

Fortunately we caught it and fixed the files.

So either Cart2cart have a dodgy employee or their information collection is compromised.

If you do use their service - and the actual demo transfer worked fine and I was considering using it - make sure you check your files after or use a dummy server.

Edit: when I wrote this post I had not yet caught up with what the cart2cart rep had written in my thread regarding this issue. Savajr wrote there:

We have solved this problem at our end.

So hopefully the issue is resolved.

Jeds

Thanks for your additional message here.
Yes, we had problem at our end (mailbox was compromised due to security problem in one of the software we are using)

As I mentioned we resolved it and now it’s safe to use it.
Please let us know if there is anything we can improve at our end.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community