Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Customizing Account Creation / Newsletter Signup

Pointlessjon

Total Posts:  21
Santa Cruz, California

Hi Folks,

So, been working with magento for a few weeks now and aside from what I’ve learned to be some pretty common hangups, I’m pretty stoked.

One thing I’d like to do and would like some insight/tips on is customizing the account creation/newsletter signup process. Basically, I’m looking to grab a little more info on my users as they signup for the newsletter, such as age, gender, and name. I’m thinking the best way to do this would be to just have the newsletter signup push them toward account creation, just labeling it in a way that is more ambiguous. How can I add some more fields (existing ones) to the initial page? Or, is it easy to add additional fields to the account data model?

thanks

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Pointlessjon

Total Posts:  21
Santa Cruz, California

Also, what’s the deal with multiple newsletters?

Magento Community
Magento Community

mikej165

Total Posts:  89

I’d be careful in asking for too much information during newsletter signup. As for me personally, I tend to shy away from forms that require too much information or start to get too personal; I think many people feel similarly. If you ask for too much information, there’s a chance you’re going to lose some potential leads; asking them to setup an account when all they want is a newsletter might similarly discourage them.

It’s certainly possible to customize Magento to do what it is that you want to do. However, I’d exercise caution here as the mods you make might conflict with future updates. A path that I’ve taken with regards to newsletters is to use Mailchimp and segment the list based on interests. This might accomplish most of what you want to do. Mailchimp also has an API, so you can have a fairly tight integration between Magento and it. True, Mailchimp is a pay service, but I happen to think they do a bangup job, so I’m happy to recommend them.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community