Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Bulk Upload to Create a Store? 

TapTapper

Total Posts:  21
Hudson Valley, NY, US

Hi All

I installed Magento a couple days ago, no sample data.  I currently have Zen Cart stores with ~15,000 products in ~200 categories and I’m interested in switching to Magento.  In Zen I always use Excel and a bulk uploader to manage my products (and build new stores), almost never do them by hand. 

I’m digging through the DataFlow module posts to get an understanding of how it works, but does anyone know if I’ll be able to upload my store from scratch?  Will it create the categories on-the-fly?  Or can/should I insert some info directly into the database?

Any advice on mounting my catalog will be appreciated.

Thanks

--Pat

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Morticia

Total Posts:  1

I too am interested in bulk uploading of images for all products. Doing the images one product at a time is tedious. In fact, I don’t see any links in the admin panel to the media folder where all the product categories and images are suppose to reside. So uploading all the images by FTP seems pointless. Am I missing something?

Magento Community
Magento Community

intensity

Total Posts:  48

@TapTapper, it’s been a while since you posted this so I hope you have figured this out, but if not here is some help.

To my knowledge you will have to create your categories and configure you store in the admin panel.  You will then have to take your exported data from Zen cart and map the fields and data to correspond to the magento settings ie data fields, category numbers etc.  Magento’s image file mapping is fairly flexible and I don’t believe you have to stick to their method of doing it.  The thread below should provide you with a lot of helpful information for what you are trying to do.

http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/6220/

Cheers, Jon

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community