Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

How do I get my pages to load as they’re being received? 

port23user

Total Posts:  19

I’ve gotten my magento page load time to about 5-10 seconds through server optimizations and other stuff.  But it still feels slow (maybe it just is slow).  When I load the pages, the browser displays the “working” icon and then shows the page all at once when it’s done.  I was noticing, however, that sites like Amazon have about the same load time as my site.  The difference was that they “felt” like they loaded faster because they displayed the page as it was received and loaded images later.  Is there a way I can do this for my store?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

lisali
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  889
London, UK

Hey - I have been thinking about this too - and I agree that it would make a HUGE difference if the user/visitor knew that something was going on whil the rest of the page was downloaded.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

mikej165

Total Posts:  89

You may want to try using Firefox with the Firebug and Yslow extensions. In particular, Yslow analyzes page loads and gives helpful tips on how to improve load times. But.... it may not be an easy task to undertake, since the order in which things load might require a good deal of rewriting templates.

Also, making sure compression is enabled in your .htaccess file may speed load times somewhat.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lisali
Enthusiast

London, UK

Hi mikej165,

Thanks for your suggestion. However, I have been using Yslow for a while now, and while it does offer some helpful hints - especially in terms of HTML and CSS code, it does not offer a solution here, where we want at least parts of the page to load and be shown before everything is loaded.

As port23user - I have done everything possible in terms of optimising the template files, graphics and compression. We need to take this a step further.

This has more to do with how Magento assembles, builds and caches blocks and pages, I believe.

Magento Community
Magento Community

port23user

Total Posts:  19

Yea, me too.  I’ve been using YSlow to make the site faster.  But I’m just looking for a way to make the user _feel_ like it’s loading faster (even if it means it takes a little bit longer to load).

I thought there was some sort of setting where you could define whether the browser loads the stuff as it comes vs when it’s finished downloading.  But I don’t remember where I was reading about that (Magento? PHP? .htaccess? Apache?).

Magento Community
Magento Community

mikej165

Total Posts:  89

lisali - 10 October 2008 02:07 PM

Hi mikej165,

Thanks for your suggestion. However, I have been using Yslow for a while now, and while it does offer some helpful hints - especially in terms of HTML and CSS code, it does not offer a solution here, where we want at least parts of the page to load and be shown before everything is loaded.

As port23user - I have done everything possible in terms of optimising the template files, graphics and compression. We need to take this a step further.

This has more to do with how Magento assembles, builds and caches blocks and pages, I believe.

Precisely, which is why I suggest it won’t be an easy task to apply the optimizations it suggests. It would probably require wholesale rewrites of templates, which may be beyond limits of what you wish to pursue.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lisali
Enthusiast

London, UK

If anyone has any ideas on HOW to make this happen - please comment here.

One idea was to show a pre-loader, but that involved another Javascript and dynamically setting a display class for the body tag - but I believe Magento already uses classes for the body tag.

Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community