You did a very nice job on the design, especially for being a self-confessed newbie!
Having said that, there are a few things where IMO you went wrong.
- Your homepage and category pages will struggle in search engines as they have no text. They’re all image based and search engine spiders can’t do much with images.
- Your categories have long URLs, it looks like you are not taking full advantage of the SEO features. When I click on the SPiderman link from the homepage I go to:
Which really should be something like
- You’ve killed the main way to navigate. After clicking into the Spiderman category and into the Duvet, there’s no going back. By removing the clever ways Magento allows people to browse you really are back-dating your shop into recent history whilst making the user experience far less than it could have been.
- Your product pages are a tad light on content, again making it hard for Google and friends. Type “Doctor Who” a few more times in pages like this:
- Once in the checkout, I’m loosing the feel a bit. With some bigger fonts there I think you can preserve much of the unique design you have there and match those pages with the buttons etc.
With those changes, I think you can do very well.