Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Bopbaloo - Childrens character bedding

georgek

Total Posts:  23

Hi all,

After many months I finally went live today with my site Bopbaloo running on 1.1.6.

It sells licensed childrens bedding products such as Spiderman duvets and Spongebob curtains etc.

It’s been a real labour of love over the past 6 months or so and I’m quite proud of it having no prior experience in html, css or php.

It’s based on the modern theme and is very much stripped down at the moment. I hope to add more of the Magento features back in but didn’t see any need for launch. The only one I’m currently using is related products.

Thanks for looking!

George

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

J_T_
Mentor

Total Posts:  1961
London-ish, UK

You did a very nice job on the design, especially for being a self-confessed newbie!

Having said that, there are a few things where IMO you went wrong.

- Your homepage and category pages will struggle in search engines as they have no text. They’re all image based and search engine spiders can’t do much with images.
- Your categories have long URLs, it looks like you are not taking full advantage of the SEO features. When I click on the SPiderman link from the homepage I go to:

http://www.bopbaloo.com/catalog/category/view/s/licences/id/28/

Which really should be something like

http://www.bopbaloo.com/spiderman/

- You’ve killed the main way to navigate. After clicking into the Spiderman category and into the Duvet, there’s no going back. By removing the clever ways Magento allows people to browse you really are back-dating your shop into recent history whilst making the user experience far less than it could have been.

- Your product pages are a tad light on content, again making it hard for Google and friends. Type “Doctor Who” a few more times in pages like this:

http://www.bopbaloo.com/ready-beds/doctor-who-ready-bed.html

- Once in the checkout, I’m loosing the feel a bit. With some bigger fonts there I think you can preserve much of the unique design you have there and match those pages with the buttons etc.

With those changes, I think you can do very well.

Magento Community
Magento Community

georgek

Thanks very much for the tips J.T!
I have to admit that I am pretty clueless when it comes to SEO and probably should have learnt more about it before designing the website.
I’ve taken your points on board and already fixed the catalog links on the home page. I’ll also put some text on there and a side navigation box.
I agree with you regarding the checkout - that whole area could do with some work.

One question about Google and images, does Google not even index the alt text on images?

Thanks again
George

Magento Community
Magento Community

J_T_
Mentor

Total Posts:  1961
London-ish, UK

They do look at the alt and possibly title text (use both ideally) but more to index the images than the actual page. Nothing beats real, visible text on the page you want indexed (actually, having lots of links to that page may beat it but you get the idea).

Magento Community
Magento Community

georgek

Hi,

Now updated with many of the points raised by J.T.
I’ve included a vertical navigation to aid browsing, but stopped short of putting the breadcrumbs back in (do you think this is a problem?)
Images on home page now have text for the googlebot and I’ve added a lot more SEO friendly text throughout.

Thanks again for your advice J.T, although I’ve left the checkout for now wink

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community