Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Display the currency just once on each page

Magnus Wester

Total Posts:  42
Stockholm, Sweden

I appreciate many of the “global e-commerce” aspects of Magento. It’s got a good “built for the future” feeling.

However, from a user’s viewpoint, the multi-currency support in Magento is a bit too “noisy” for my taste. Most people only use one currency. Once you’ve selected your “home” currency you really don’t think about it again.

Yet Magento displays the currency symbol next to each amount on each page. With USD it may be OK to display $10.00 instead of 10.00, but with other currencies the accumulated screen space lost to repetition of a currency code like “EUR” - in capitals! - is just overwhelming. Just switch your currency to euro and move around the product pages for a while - or study the shopping cart. For someone living in Euro-land, 10.51 is OK, they know it’s euro.

In most cases it must be enough to state the currency for a product page or shopping cart once, e.g. in column headers or in a note at the bottom of the page.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

_

Total Posts:  152

As there is no management tool for currencies you’ll be able to change this only through SQL. See the table “directory_currency_name” and change output_format of EUR to %s

Im sure that the editing of these settings will come in next releases smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

Magnus Wester

Stockholm, Sweden

To be fair, there is a management tool for currencies under System > Manage Currency. But it only allows you to update the rates from an external source.

Other possible formatting options are “€ %s” or “%s €”.

Magento Community
Magento Community

_

Total Posts:  152

Yes. Exactly. But to change the setting you must dig in SQL smile .

I don’t see the difference between “€ %s” or “%s €”

What do you mean ? smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

Magnus Wester

Stockholm, Sweden

Well, in Ireland or in the Netherlands, you would write 10 euro as “€ 10”. In France, it is more normal to write it as “10 €”.

As far as I know, there is no offical recommendation as to where to place the euro symbol. People place it where they used to place their former currency symbol.

According to Wikipedia you can even see things like “3€50”.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Gregor Streng

Total Posts:  10

Hi,

in case anyone else is looking to change the postion of the currency symbol in a specific locale.
This is defined within the Zend-Framework.

Go to lib/Zend/Locale/Data/ there you will a hell of a lot xml files, named according to their targeting locale.

I wanted to change the symbol in de to be at the left side, no idea why this is wrong by default in Zend :-(

Hence open up de.xml look for the tag currencyFormats and change the #,##0.00 ¤ to ¤ #,##0.00.
The ¤ defines wehre the currency symbol will be placed.

Don’t forget to clear you cache and take in mind the Zend cache even runs with turned off Magento Cache.
rm -Rdf var/cache/*

Hope this saves anyone else time.

Magento Community
Magento Community

jazkat

Total Posts:  154

Thanks Gregor!!!
It defenitly saved hours !!!

Magento Community
Magento Community