Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Dependent Dropdowns…. are they possible in Magento? 

airban

Total Posts:  34

Dependent Dropdowns.... are they possible in Magento?

We are looking to have website developed for golf club sales.

The options for ordering a golf club change, dependent on what is chosen.

This is an example (not golf related): http://examples.codecharge.com/CCSExamplePack2/DependentListBox/DependentListBox.php

If it was possible, and I wanted to hire a developer, how would I go about that? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Aaron

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

LeeSaferite
Guru

Total Posts:  322
Lake City, FL

This is currently already possible in Magento using Configurable Products. 

Varien has a Job Board here on the Magento site.  You could get your job listed there.

Magento Community
Magento Community

jmacdoug

Total Posts:  117

I do not see instructions for this anywhere. Can you kindly help me out?

Magento Community
Magento Community

LeeSaferite
Guru

Total Posts:  322
Lake City, FL

Create a simple product for each variation, Large Red Shirt, Small Red Shirt, Small Green Shirt, Large Blue Shirt, Small Blue Shirt.
Create a configurable product using the same attribute set.  Add the simple products you just created to the configurable product.

When you look at the configurable product in the front end, you’ll have drop downs.  If you select a green shirt, the only size will be small.

Magento Community
Magento Community

jmacdoug

There is a good possibility in my case that I could spend hundreds of hours adding products.  Can you take a look at this site for me? I really like the way it is setup. It actually uses virtuemart but no one can figure out how they did it. You will need to login with the following credentials

username: jmacdoug at optonline.net
password: 05040504

here is the link:
http://www.finaoonline.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page;=shop.product_details&flypage;=shop.flypage&Itemid;=26&category;_id=0&product;_id=126&vmcchk;=1&Itemid;=26

Notice how different options pop up as the user selects from dropdowns. I actually make books just like this company.

Please let me know if you have an idea how to replicate or come close to this using magento mechanism

I really appreciate your time and I will donate to you for helping

jeff

Magento Community
Magento Community

nplanet

Total Posts:  31

Jeff,

Are you sure it is implemented using Virtual Mart? After evaluating it for almost an hour I think it is a totally customized solution rather than an implementation of a standard shopping cart.

Magento Community
Magento Community

jmacdoug

I know it is Virtuemart. Look at the link I gave you above. It is VM with a customised flypage! I’m serious. Take a look at my site VM installation http://www.modebook.com/vmstore

I have been trying myself to replicate it.

Magento Community
Magento Community

nplanet

Looking at the site it seems it is totally customized. I think you will have to hire someone to customize the way you want to…

Magento Community
Magento Community

jmacdoug

I actually found out that it is INDEED virtuemart using Product-->Child Item-->Attributes (with minor customizing)

It’s actually quite a nice out of the box flow that someone pointed out for me. The only thing custom on that site is the image uploader which is SWFUPLOAD. Other than that a couple little flypage hacks for the waterfall effect.

My big disappointment so far with magento is the fact that I can’r achieve this flow…

product A ----child product B--Attributes D,F,G
+---child product C--Attributes H,I
+---Child product D--Attributes J,L,M,N

So set up like the above selecting product A will show a drop down with Products B,C,D shown.
Then selecting product B will change the image in the display and show the attributes D,F,G

Magento Community
Magento Community

nplanet

jmacdoug - 01 December 2008 09:17 PM

I actually found out that it is INDEED virtuemart using Product-->Child Item-->Attributes (with minor customizing)

It’s actually quite a nice out of the box flow that someone pointed out for me. The only thing custom on that site is the image uploader which is SWFUPLOAD. Other than that a couple little flypage hacks for the waterfall effect.

My big disappointment so far with magento is the fact that I can’r achieve this flow…

product A ----child product B--Attributes D,F,G
+---child product C--Attributes H,I
+---Child product D--Attributes J,L,M,N

So set up like the above selecting product A will show a drop down with Products B,C,D shown.
Then selecting product B will change the image in the display and show the attributes D,F,G

Thanks for the insight. I got the whole Idea now very clearly.

Are you seriously thinking of using VirtueMart if someone can customize it for you? If your answer is yes then it would also mean that you will have to use Joomla or Mambo on your web site as according to what little I know about VirtueMart it is built to integrate into Joomla/Mambo.

Regards,

Magento Community
Magento Community

jmacdoug

I have been using joomla (1.5.8 now) for 3 years on all my sites. http://www.modebook.com/vmstore is virtuemart 1.1.2 with joomla 1.5.8

Magento Community
Magento Community

nplanet

jmacdoug - 02 December 2008 05:24 AM

I have been using joomla (1.5.8 now) for 3 years on all my sites. http://www.modebook.com/vmstore is virtuemart 1.1.2 with joomla 1.5.8

Oh ok. Got it.

I also enjoy using Joomla. Have integrated it in may sites for our customers.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community