Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Magento Hosting for evaluation

WebhostUK LTD

Total Posts:  163
UK

okason - 15 July 2010 04:21 PM

Wow, it is amazing to read the diverse experience of everyone who has contributed to this post so I am hoping that someone would be kind enough to comment on my predicament. Without wasting your time I am looking for a host for an eCommerce site that offers downloadable product (mp3) and video streaming.  So without doubt I know I need a dedicated server and I have been looking at Aspiration Hosting and Host Gator.

I am still trying to figure out how to calculate bandwidth, currently my website www.afrodiscsandbooks.com is running on the Yahoo SMB platform with Zero problem and receives about 200 unique visitors daily with about 1500 page views. But I need the downloadable product functionality and I need to offer video streaming, I currently host my video clips with Youtube, but I would want to bring that back to my site so I can get all those traffic.

So my question is, would anyone kindly suggest a good host for a Magento based Video streaming website

Also is it reasonable to expect that Dedicated hosting price is going to come down in the not so distant future?

Would I exceed 2000GB of bandwith if my site gets 2000 page views daily and the pages are mostly mp3 audio clips and video clips streaming and also some product downloads.

I hope I have not bored you with a lot info

Thanks

Valentine

If you need to run mp3 and videos you will require FFMPEG installed server..we offer fully managed server and do offer ready to use FFMPEG installed server with one click auto installer for Magento, we can also optimize the server for best performance of Magento.

You can take a look at our dedicated server packages at : http://www.webhosting.uk.net/linux_dedicated.html

You can also email us on sales (@) webhost.uk.net if you have any special requirement.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Aspiration Host
Mentor

Total Posts:  1287
Tampa, FL

WebhostUK LTD - 15 July 2010 08:17 PM

If you need to run mp3 and videos you will require FFMPEG installed server..we offer fully managed server and do offer ready to use FFMPEG installed server with one click auto installer for Magento, we can also optimize the server for best performance of Magento.

You can take a look at our dedicated server packages at : << removed spam links >>

You can also email us on << removed spam email >> if you have any special requirement.

For your information you should not be self-promoting in this forum as it is against the forum rules.

This is not trying to be helpful at all but to act on your own interest instead.

Magento Community
Magento Community

okason

Total Posts:  4

WebhostUK, thank you for your response. You storage levels does not meet my need and besides your rates are in Pound Sterling (exchange rates are unpredictable). So I will continue to shop for a host in the US. But I do appreciate your response

Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

haskell

Total Posts:  20

Flaxton - 14 July 2010 11:53 AM

WebAndPeople - 14 July 2010 11:12 AM
New service just opened up http://magenting.com/ - sort of advanced magento hosting solution. It allows to set up magento in few clicks and even install a free theme from the list.

The most important: it has a free hosting account.

You can register and set up your magento shop in 2 minutes.

Their magento demo: http://demo.magenting.com/ looks quite fast.

Now that is awesome. I registered and had my shop up and themed within a few clicks. Setup was pending for less than 2 minutes. The javascript login did not open in chrome, but it did in Firefox and I am up and running.

Less than 3 minutes total time.

Results - http://flaxton.magenting.com/

what happened with nexcess? I thought you were getting setup there?

Besides that link/site doesnt work right now....awesome reliability-not-!

Magento Community
Magento Community

haskell

okason - 16 July 2010 06:30 AM

WebhostUK, thank you for your response. You storage levels does not meet my need and besides your rates are in Pound Sterling (exchange rates are unpredictable). So I will continue to shop for a host in the US. But I do appreciate your response

Thanks

Okason:

Why do you believe you need dedicated?

Ive had a look at ur site and I dont see why you feel like you need that....
What are you running or thinking of running platform wise?
How many products do you have in total?
Where are your clients based in geographically?
What else do you need to run with ur store eg hosted blog, forum, live chat, any other scripts etc?
Any budget ideas low to high?(ofcourse this also relates to ur actual needs but gives an idea)

There are many BETTER and cheaper solutions for you and your clients than simply getting a dedicated(if u dont need it).

And for dedicated servers there are much better places and better prices than from the places you mentioned.

I could advise you more accurately if you could answer those general questions above.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Flaxton

Total Posts:  137
Houston

haskell - 18 July 2010 09:24 PM

New service just opened up http://magenting.com/ - sort of advanced magento hosting solution. It allows to set up magento in few clicks and even install a free theme from the list.

Now that is awesome. I registered and had my shop up and themed within a few clicks. Setup was pending for less than 2 minutes. The javascript login did not open in chrome, but it did in Firefox and I am up and running.

I am set up on the Nexcess SIP-300. It is blazing fast and I have had my tickets on help desk answered and fixed within minutes. They have great support and great speed. We have yet to actually launch our store, but I forsee no problems with Nexcess.

As for Magenting, the site is up, if it was down it was because they were doing some maintenance earlier. I am only using this to mess around with Magento Connect, since I do not have one in my Professional Edition.

Magento Community
Magento Community

haskell

Flaxton - 19 July 2010 09:16 AM

haskell - 18 July 2010 09:24 PM

I am set up on the Nexcess SIP-300. It is blazing fast and I have had my tickets on help desk answered and fixed within minutes. They have great support and great speed. We have yet to actually launch our store, but I forsee no problems with Nexcess.

As for Magenting, the site is up, if it was down it was because they were doing some maintenance earlier. I am only using this to mess around with Magento Connect, since I do not have one in my Professional Edition.

Cheers.

Did you by any chance compare Sip200 vs Sip300? or did you really need the sip300 off the bat?

yep magenting now seems up

Magento Community
Magento Community

Magenting

Total Posts:  12

Here is the speed checker from different parts of the world

free website speed test

Results for http://demo.magenting.com
Checked From                      Result KBytes    Seconds    
Dortmund
Germany (5 Mbps)        OK    20.35    0.22    
Beijing
China (5 Mbps)           OK    20.35    2.88    
Sydney
Australia (5 Mbps)        OK    20.35    1.72    
Gloucester
UK (5 Mbps)           OK    20.35    0.30    
Chicago
IL (45 Mbps)             OK    20.35    0.94    
Washington
DC (3 Mbps)           OK    20.35    0.73    
Los Angeles
CA (1.5 Mbps)        OK    20.35    0.94    
Santiago
Chile (760 Kbps)        OK    20.35    1.19    
Detroit
MI (5 Mbps)              OK    20.35    0.69

Who is next?

Page load speed is one of the most important variables for hosting provider. It means usability.

Magento Community
Magento Community

finduspancake

Total Posts:  1

I’m using a cloud based service by hosting.ecommerceheroes.com - no contracts which is great & their free 24/7 live support has been extremely helpful at times!

Reason I chose them was the capability to handles spikes in traffic automatically, and the fact that they installed Magento for me..

Magento Community
Magento Community

haskell

true. 1 click installers are a cool feature to have and most hosts have it. Installing it yourself could take about 10-15minutes.  Ofcourse the 1 click only installs magento but if ur serious about ur ecommerce then there is days of designing, modules, optimisations etc that go into it.

Magento Community
Magento Community

BobMane

Total Posts:  108

Turnkeye.com - 13 April 2010 03:30 AM

NginX web server is used by MagentoCommerce.com

how is that impressive???- this site is painfully slow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

plus they don’t use your service so whats the point of making that as a professional differentiation.

Magento Community
Magento Community

doughboy

Total Posts:  55

Haskell,
You seemed to be very involved in this whole process so I wanted to get your feedback.  Just a real quick background.  I had an older dedicated server that I colo for our current site.  Found out REAL quick it would not even come close to running Magento.  I then signed up for Crucial after a fellow software user recommened them.  I also signed up for a cloud server at another ISP to compare.  The cloud was much slower, so I quickly canned that.  All of this testing was basically on an empty database while we worked on design, modules, etc.

I have been very impressed with the Crucial tech support.  It has been very good.  I am on the Split Dedicated Level 1 ($250/month) plan.  I have loaded about 180 configurable items, about 11,000 sku’s and it is NOTICEABLY slower.  TOO slow!  And I have just got started importing products.  There are many more to go.  We have about 200,000 total SKU’s but everything we have in our “inhouse” system will not necessarily be online (but I hope to get most of it there).

If you don’t mine saying, how many SKU’s are you running?  I am currious if you are still very pleased with the speed and if so, I wanted to get a feel for how many SKU’s you are using.  I ran a site speed test and I think it sucks!

The last 3 columns are Kbytes, Seconds, Kbps.

Dortmund, Germany (5 Mbps) OK 66.63 10.19 52
Beijing, China (5 Mbps) OK 66.63 19.25 28
Sydney, Australia (5 Mbps) OK 66.63 16.28 33
Gloucester, UK (5 Mbps) OK 66.63 13.84 39
Chicago, IL (45 Mbps) OK 66.63 12.56 42
Los Angeles, CA (1.5 Mbps) OK 66.63 16.63 32
Santiago, Chile (760 Kbps) OK 66.63 12.97 41

I have no doubt learned ALOT about Magento.  I waisted a BUNCH of money early on b/c I did not know anything about it.  I was paying people left and right to help do things that were not done right and that I ended up redoing or choosing a different route, but that is a whole-nother story :0

I did have WEBO Speedup module installed but I seemed to have some crazy problems (this is before any products were loaded) so I ended up rolling back to a pre-install state.  It may be that I could reinstall it and get it setup right and it could help a great deal???  I would love to hear if anyone else has used any caching modules to help speedup Magento.

Sooooo, I am all ears to hear what else you have come across and your thoughts after several weeks of being on the SIP-300.  That is what I would get if I switched.  To my knowledge I am not in any kind of contract with Crucial.  I believe it is just month to month.

Thanks,
Tim

Magento Community
Magento Community

Flaxton

Total Posts:  137
Houston

Quick simple update on Nexcess.

Still great, still fast, less than 10-15 minutes on help desk tickets. One small error on the development site and they were quick to reinstall Magento PE in less than 10 minutes. They also had a backup ready to be implemented if we needed it.

Magento Community
Magento Community

WebAndPeople

Total Posts:  150

a2zuniforms - 26 August 2010 07:45 PM

I have been very impressed with the Crucial tech support.  It has been very good.  I am on the Split Dedicated Level 1 ($250/month) plan.  I have loaded about 180 configurable items, about 11,000 sku’s and it is NOTICEABLY slower.  TOO slow!  And I have just got started importing products…

Interesting
we have made a test demo with ~10000 bulk products imported
http://grayscale.magenting.com/test-category/

Simple products - not configured, but the magento do not behave itself slower.
If you can provide us with demo data (db dump for example) we might test it with our environment

Magento Community
Magento Community

sino

Total Posts:  34

The search continues for the magical web host, with all the right everything - good luck, I have tried just about all mentioned in this forum, most are the planet resellers, which is fine if \\\\\\\” the company\\\\\\\” wasn\\\\\\\’t a 5 man operation - Whats the point of having a nice ass shopping cart, if the customer has to wait 10 seconds to add a product to a cart, its like a hot chick that doesn\\\\\\\’t put out. The end result is the same, point, click, buy - This issue has been going on since the start. You have to be a freggin scientist to tweak the heck out of it, or you have shell out some major cash to have everything working right, that\\\\\\\’s all until the next update.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community