Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 9 of 10
Magento Hosting for evaluation

WebhostUK LTD

Total Posts:  163
UK

You can google the review of the company you wish to select… also try to contact them on chat or email to check there support activities.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Mohamed Elkhouly

Total Posts:  7
Dubai , United Arab Emirates

Check Magenting.com

Magento Community
Magento Community

nicedayvince

Total Posts:  56

mogbroke - 05 March 2008 12:00 PM

www.hostgator.com is what i use. They have awesome support and a great support site. I use magento on it with zero issues.

I am currently running Magento on Host Gator also. I have a resellers account and my site is running really slow. What package do you use? Is the speed of Magento good on that package?

Can anyone tell me what is the cheapest HostGator package that will run Magento stores nice and quick? I want to put a lot of stores on my account. Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

justintime67

Total Posts:  188

Everyone be warned.. DO NOT use gigapros.

Shocking hosting and support. They know nothing about hosting, magento or servers. They took my site down without even sending me an invoice after i had been with them for two years and always paid my bills on time.

You have been warned.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ThePixel

Total Posts:  2

We offer a range of hosting solutions that are tailored just for Magento.

As a Magento Partner we host all of our clients websites and provide solutions just for Magento. If you would like a trial then please get in touch.

For more information on our Magento Hosting solutions please visit: http://www.thepixel.com/services/magento-hosting

Magento Community
Magento Community

mikeonmage

Total Posts:  101

hey guys

Need a host that allows:

1. installing SVN and rsync

2. You may need to assist me in doing root-access things depending on your security configuration - advise here please

I am talking about getting 2 hosting accounts or 1 and using subfolder for dev site.

everything from now on being done with SVN so it can be rolled back as needed.

I almost have it nailed except for one last bottleneck:

1. get a separate development server account. This server will need SVN or Git installed on it. This is easy to do so long as you have root SSH access to the server, which you’ll need in order for it to be an effective development machine anyway.

2. Use Beanstalk (and either SVN or Git, whichever you’re more comfortable with) to keep your site’s files (all Magento core, plugin, and theme files including them images) versioned, but possibly exclude the media/ directory and any other directories that have large sets of rarely-changed large files.

3. Use a free tool like rsync that can be programmed to very quickly move large files around and keep the media directories on your server environments in sync. rsync is a command line tool, so it’ll require some understanding. There’s a good tutorial on how to use it here: http://everythinglinux.org/rsync/

so this would be great but I need to find a host for the dev server that has root access or lets me run SVN and rsync

Magento Community
Magento Community

mikeonmage

Total Posts:  101

hey guys

Need a host that allows: installing SVN and rsync. You may need to assist me in doing root-access things depending on your security configuration - advise here please

I am talking about getting 2 hosting accounts or 1 and using subfolders for dev site.

everything from now on being done with SVN so it can be rolled back as needed.

I almost have it nailed except for one last bottleneck:

1. get a separate development server account. This server will need SVN or Git installed on it. This is easy to do so long as you have root SSH access to the server, which you\’ll need in order for it to be an effective development machine anyway.

2. Use Beanstalk (and either SVN or Git, whichever you\’re more comfortable with) to keep your site\’s files (all Magento core, plugin, and theme files including them images) versioned, but possibly exclude the media/ directory and any other directories that have large sets of rarely-changed large files.

3. Use a free tool like rsync that can be programmed to very quickly move large files around and keep the media directories on your server environments in sync. rsync is a command line tool, so it\’ll require some understanding. There\’s a good tutorial on how to use it here: http://everythinglinux.org/rsync/

so this would be great but I need to find a host for the dev server that has root access or lets me run SVN and rsync

no dedicated please

Magento Community
Magento Community

sanderson.delorum

Total Posts:  5

Pagoda Box just released benchmarks for running out-of-the-box Magento CE on their service. To my knowledge, they’re the first PHP PaaS that openly supports Magento. You can check out the full benchmarks on their blog, but here’s some of the results:

21,180 Pageviews per Hour – $136/mo

1 600 MB RAM Instances $50/mo
300 MB RAM DB $38/mo
300 MB RAM Memcache $38/mo
SSL $10/mo

Siege Concurrency:  10
Transactions:  353 hits
Availability:  100.00 %
Elapsed time:  59.85 secs
Data transferred:  2.38 MB
Response time:  1.14 secs
Transaction rate:  5.90 trans/sec
Throughput:  0.04 MB/sec
Concurrency:  6.74
Successful transactions:  353
Failed transactions:  0
Longest transaction:  4.45
Shortest transaction:  0.34

46,080 Pageviews per Hour – $212/mo

2 600 MB RAM Instances $126/mo
300 MB RAM DB $38/mo
300 MB RAM Memcache $38/mo
SSL $10/mo

Siege Concurrency:  20
Transactions:  768 hits
Availability:  100.00 %
Elapsed time:  59.57 secs
Data transferred:  5.22 MB
Response time:  1.05 secs
Transaction rate:  12.89 trans/sec
Throughput:  0.09 MB/sec
Concurrency:  13.58
Successful transactions:  768
Failed transactions:  0
Longest transaction:  3.67
Shortest transaction:  0.27

You can see the benchmarked Magento Demo here.

First impressions are pretty impressive, especially knowing that there are no optimizations built into their Magento install. Throw the LightSpeed Page Caching Module in there and it’ll scream. What’s really interesting about Pagoda Box is that you can scale for only what you need. Their scaling model is really granular.

Magento Community
Magento Community

SarathTomy

Total Posts:  146
Melbourne, Australia

I am using SimpleHelix and it works great.  I’ve never had a problem with it.

Magento Community
Magento Community

elvar

Total Posts:  59

Just wanted to share my experience here…

I was over 3 years with hostPapa on shared account in Canada and really did not had any issues. Sometimes only unreachable from Croatia and some problems with one extension using rewrite.

But when they wanted to charge me for next 3 years more then for new customer - I decided to leave.

First I took very cheap MochaHost as they advertise as Top Magento shared hosting - and I was amazed that now Magento is needed over 10 - 20 seconds to load instead of 5 from HostPapa.

I have never wanted any VPS or bigger hosting but now I was really started to think of it.

Luckily I wanted to find some shared hosting in Europe and somehow I ran to HostXNow - small company ran by Chris.

I do not want to advertise him too much but I really think that he needs to. My Magento load in 1,2 seconds. It is faaast. It is a little more cost in compare to other shared accounts but still it is lower then any other VPS or bigger plan. And it is working. With Chris you can feel that you are talking with the real person not as a company - another plus.

My reccommendaions…

p.s. on purpose I did not wanted to give affiliate link here smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

ranan90

Total Posts:  1

there are too many options , for me it’s also very har to choose the best one...smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

RedskinsOne

Total Posts:  22

How do you figure out how much bandwidth you would be using on a start up site?  Is there some way to calculate this?  I’m having a hard time in choosing a hosting company but I don’t want to pick something where I’ll have to upgrade soon after.  Any help is appreciated!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Ted at Giftery

Total Posts:  4
Orange, California

RedskinsOne - 06 March 2012 01:26 PM

How do you figure out how much bandwidth you would be using on a start up site?  Is there some way to calculate this?  I’m having a hard time in choosing a hosting company but I don’t want to pick something where I’ll have to upgrade soon after.  Any help is appreciated!

Without history you can’t accurately tell what you will use but you can make some educated guesses depending on your projected volume and investment. Like with all forecasting you’re trying to be reasonable but if you do run over, it should mean you’re selling more too.

For example if you’re projected 50 orders a day [nice start!] at a 2% conversion rate that’s 2,500 visitors.

Bandwidth per user can swing widely by theme, images, video, etc so say 100-250kb [people who stay use a lot, people who view one page use far less] which is 250 - 600mb of usage.

Take that times 31 and you’ve got 7.5 - 18.5 gb a month.

As you can see we’re not talking huge numbers and since bandwidth and space are cheap these days you can find a solid provider with a range of options to start small and move up [without moving out] over time. And stay away from unlimited / too good to be true offers too… As important as costs are, speed and uptime are critical to your success, don’t skimp.

Magento Community
Magento Community

JoeVlcek

Total Posts:  23

I have been pushing Mage Mojo to everyone who needs Magento hosting. I spoke with Eric, who owns Mage Mojo, a few times about their hosting. They set up Virtual Private Servers in a way to run Magento very smoothly. You get fully dedicated resources for your Magento store at a lower cost because you don’t need to buy the server hardware. They don’t do cloud VPS which I found to be horrible for Magento.

A few of my clients host with them. Their support seems to be very good and of course their speed is great. They are the fastest Magento host at http://magespeedtest.com

I have seen a lot of hosts saying they have “Magento hosting”, but offer shared hosting for a few dollars a month. If any host offers shared hosting for Magento, then they obviously don’t understand what Magento needs to run smoothly. Magento is a great system, but it needs good hosting. Shared hosting is a horrible option. I don’t care who says their shared hosting is “optimized” for Magento. If it is shared, you are asking for trouble.

Magento Community
Magento Community

in_grid

Total Posts:  9

Hi! My Magento is very slow… DO you think it’s the hosting problem?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 9 of 10