Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 10
Magento Hosting for evaluation

Shine Marketing

Total Posts:  15

Does anyone know any reasonably cheap hosting packages that can run Magento ‘out of the box’ while we evaluate it?

I’ll be looking for a more robust solution further down the line, but just need something quick & dirty for now.

Thanks

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Byron Miler

Total Posts:  7

If you have your own domain name for testing purposes i would be happy to host it for free.  I’ve got a cpanel server with all appropriate modules installed.  The only thing i would have to charge for is if you want an IP to do SSL with..

send me a PM for my contact details

Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

You can start here - there are very affordable plans:

http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/general/magento-web-hosting

Magento Community
Magento Community

Shine Marketing

Byron - very generous of you , PM sent

Roy, thanks for that list

I’m also talking to one of my current hosting providers about them configuring a VPS package for Magento.
I think they’ll have something set up pretty quickly when the first stable release is available, I’ll pass the link on to them.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Shine Marketing

Hi guys, thanks for the help. I’ve gone with the free account with Helping Hand Hosting while I have a play around.
They’ve very helpfully set everything up for me at http://sweatbandcycling.co.uk

I’ll be having a poke around over the next few days to create a demo store for some potential clients.

I’ve been trying to get the bike shop over the road from our office as a client for ages now as their own site makes me wince every time I look at it ,hopefully this will impress them enough to make the change grin

Magento Community
Magento Community

Calimeross

Total Posts:  3

I’ve gotting it to work on a modified Uniform Server installation, which essentially means you can run it from a USB stick if you wanted to.

Magento Community
Magento Community

mogbroke

Total Posts:  5

www.hostgator.com is what i use. They have awesome support and a great support site. I use magento on it with zero issues.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Steve Yan

Total Posts:  9

If you haven’t already selected a hosting site, check out SimpleHelix.com.  They offer a Magento development/testing environment for just $5 (see http://www.simplehelix.com/hosting/announcements.php).. It’s not $5/month, but $5 period.  You get a flawless Magento installation, MySQL database, e-mail service, FTP, SSL, good amounts of storage and 1GB bandwidth.  On top of that, their systems and php environment are super fast - fastest I have ever come across.  Magento pages load in a matter of a second or two.  The catch, if you can call it that, is that your site cannot become a Production site.  You have to sign up for a service plans to do that.

Magento Community
Magento Community

brock

Total Posts:  12
Columbus, OH

I tried many different hosting companies and had to use the 30-day Guarantee to cancel them all except for Simple Helix. They have the fastest and most consumer-friendly hosting I’ve experienced yet. My site, www.btiffny.com, is hosted by them...you can check it out and see.

Hope this helps!

Brock
www.btiffny.com

Magento Community
Magento Community

There4you

Total Posts:  74
Tasmania, Australia

Also www.hostingladder.com

Magento Community
Magento Community

jmlee

Total Posts:  53

Hi Brock,
your jewelry site looks wonderful and it runs fast and smooth.  Can you please tell me which plan (standard or max) you are using with simplehelix?  i am in the process selecting a host, but want any feedback i can get.

thanks,
Jerry

Magento Community
Magento Community

grooves1200

Total Posts:  122

Steve Yan - 05 March 2008 08:45 PM

If you haven’t already selected a hosting site, check out SimpleHelix.com.  They offer a Magento development/testing environment for just $5 (see http://www.simplehelix.com/hosting/announcements.php).. It’s not $5/month, but $5 period.  You get a flawless Magento installation, MySQL database, e-mail service, FTP, SSL, good amounts of storage and 1GB bandwidth.  On top of that, their systems and php environment are super fast - fastest I have ever come across.  Magento pages load in a matter of a second or two.  The catch, if you can call it that, is that your site cannot become a Production site.  You have to sign up for a service plans to do that.

is this still available? i don’t see it mentioned on their site at all.

Magento Community
Magento Community

grooves1200

Total Posts:  122

FYI, they no longer offer that $5 testing environment. they do have $9.95 shared hosting solutions, though, that they don’t really advertise on the site at all:

https://www.simplehelix.com/hosting/cart.php

FWIW, they responded to my inquiry about the testing environment quickly.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Kerry Hatcher

Total Posts:  96
Macon, GA

We use bluehost.com as our devel server. We will be moving over to a dedicated account when we go live but bluehost serves it’s purpose.

Magento Community
Magento Community

port23user

Total Posts:  19

I use HostGator right now but I’m looking to move to SliceHost.  Has anybody had any experience with them?  Care to tell?

Magento Community
Magento Community

JLHC
Mentor

Total Posts:  1287
Tampa, FL

port23user - 03 September 2008 02:37 PM

I use HostGator right now but I’m looking to move to SliceHost.  Has anybody had any experience with them?  Care to tell?

I will suggest you to search for their legitimate reviews at places like HostJury, WebHostingTalk, RatePoint, etc. This will give you a better outlook on how their clients thinks about the company.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 10