Magento Forum

RESOLVED Layout won’t change Designers Guide Exercise #1

darrells

Total Posts:  7

So I have a brand new install of Magento 1.1.6 and went straight to the Designers Guide and now I am doing “Exercise #1: In the category page, move the “My Cart” box from the right column to the left”

I opened /app/design/frontend/default/default/layout/checkout.xml and changed line 44 to

<reference name="left">

Uploaded it back to store and hit CTRL+F5 a few times but the store didn’t change at all.

Edit: I didn’t think about the caching. So I can see changes now. But the cart only disappeared because I guess their is not a left column in the default demo store.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

thomasmore

Total Posts:  80

Hrm good to know i wasn’t the only one going nuts trying to figure out why it wouldn’t go to left.

Magento Community
Magento Community

MagentoFan

Total Posts:  10

with the “Template Path Hints” set to “Yes” (we can enable it at System>Configuration>Developer>Debug. change “Current Configuration Scope” to “Main Website” first), we can see that the homepage uses “2columns-right.phtml” (see label at the top left). meaning there’s no left column, that’s why we can see the mini cart at the default homepage even though we’ve done the proper editing.
and, yes, the default page does look like it has 3 columns, but actually it only has 2. the first 2 columns on the left is actually generated from the CMS setting (check it out at CMS>Manage Pages. look at the page named “Home page” and click it, you’ll se the code).

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community