Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

http or https? can i disable? 

antifmradio

Total Posts:  13

In my hosting account i need to purchase an SSL cert for THAT domain name
if i want to use anything that generates an HTTPS link like the magento script.

Ok so here is my queston:
Is there a way for me to setup Magento so it doesnt need to use HTTPS like it wants to for

The reason i ask is that, all the products in the store would be purchased through PAYPAL transactions anyway

I know i had another question but i cant remember right now.
Lets see where this goes

Thanks boys and girls

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

antifmradio

The reason i ask is that if i want to use this software i need to purchase an SSL Cert for any domain i use this in.
That would run ruffly

$50 setup fee ( one time per domain )
+
$10 a month to keep it

Magento Community
Magento Community

Priest

Total Posts:  20

An SSL Cert is not required to use Magento. You can LOG IN, view MY ACCOUNT, SHOPPING CART, etc without the need for an SSL certificate.  Since you are using PayPal, that should cover your checkout procedure.  However, SSL certs are SO cheap right now, under $20/year for a valid Single Root Certificate or less.  Not only would it assist the security of checkout but will also help keep your customers account information and log in secure, along with and helping to gain trust among your customers.

-Priest-

Magento Community
Magento Community

antifmradio

Priest - 23 September 2008 07:06 PM

An SSL Cert is not required to use Magento. You can LOG IN, view MY ACCOUNT, SHOPPING CART, etc without the need for an SSL certificate.  Since you are using PayPal, that should cover your checkout procedure.  However, SSL certs are SO cheap right now, under $20/year for a valid Single Root Certificate or less.  Not only would it assist the security of checkout but will also help keep your customers account information and log in secure, along with and helping to gain trust among your customers.

-Priest-

If they arent required to run Magento
then what do you see at this screen when you click My Account?

http://www.grooveclip.com/magentocart

Because in FireFox i see this:

Secure Connection Failed

grooveclip
.com uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate is only valid for *.gridserver.com

(Error codessl_error_bad_cert_domain)

This could be a problem with the server's configuration, or it could be someone trying to impersonate the server.

* If you have connected to this server successfully in the past, the error may be temporary, and you can try again later.

In internet explorer i basically see the same thing

Is there something i can turn OFF in the admin panel of Magento?
Otherwise i just cant use it.

Also you said a cert is about 20 a year?
i keep finding them for about $10 a month

Magento Community
Magento Community

Michal_s

Total Posts:  111
The Netherlands

i think it has to do with the first thing the error says to you:

* This could be a problem with the servers configuration, or it could be someone trying to impersonate the server.

contact your host about it, you realy dont need a ssl cert for running magento.

Magento Community
Magento Community

antifmradio

i keep running into the “Need a CERT” error message only when trying to goto a page that starts with HTTPS

now, is there something in the initial setup that i am missing where if i DONT enter info or wrong into, it would think i need an HTTPS or CERT on the server?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community