Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Do not edit or add to this file if you wish to upgrade Magento to newer versions in the future

notzippy

Total Posts:  63

Ok so pretty much every file I use to customize my site now has the following disclaimer in it

DISCLAIMER

* Do 
not edit or add to this file if you wish to upgrade Magento to newer

versions in the future. If you wish to customize Magento for your

needs please refer to http://www.magentocommerce.com for more information.

Where can i find this article about the proper way to customizing magento ?

According to this article http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/how-to/designing/designing-for-magento I will be okay if I clone the templates - well that is not true- all it does is protect your files from being overwritten. What that article fails to say is that upgrading your site is not recommended after you “make a copy of the template folder”. The reason for this is that most upgrades affect the “phtml” files and possibly the “xml” files and even the CSS files ! 

So what is the proper way to customize magento (since I cannot change templates, css, javascript or layouts) ?

z

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

taken

Total Posts:  2

Damn good question - it’s doing my nut in.

Anyone out there got any suggestions as it seems every piece of advice on this forum revolves around editing files that state they shouldn’t be edited!

Magento Community
Magento Community

joyously
Guru

Total Posts:  447

I’ve been wondering the same thing. Seems that every upgrade changes something behind the scenes that affects the templates and css, making it very difficult to maintain a working store.
You have to get it working and then never upgrade, I think!

One of the things that changed from 1.1.3 to 1.1.6 was how the SKU for configurable products is displayed. Before it was working for me because it showed the SKU of the parent (all my simple products are just sizes). Then they changed it to show the SKU of the child and so now my reports are meaningless (just a bunch of sizes, not products).  Seems like something that fundamental should have an option. Some people thought it was broken, so they fixed it, but for me it wasn’t broken in the first place.

Magento Community
Magento Community

All About Doors and Windows

Total Posts:  51
Kansas City, MO USA

That is something I would like to know also. I am currently customizing a theme and stop in my tracks when I see that comment.

Magento Community
Magento Community

joolsr

Total Posts:  99

Well - all i can say, is that you’re ok to customise template as layouts as long as you customise than by not storing them under default/default it should be default/changedname .

ut the other issue, which really caught be out, was that even though if you create your own templates and layouts, and Magneto will not disturb them if they are created correctly; that even so, with an upgrade to a new version, its best to diff the files, and ensure that no changes have occurred. Otherwise, you can add your template files in which were designed for say vers 1.1.2, when magneto has slightly tweaked them now, and you will end up replacing the new files with your tweaked files that have the old functionality builtt into them.

What I have done is noted in a wiki every change I have made to templates layouts, so that when I upgrade, i will copy the magneto default into my own theme folder, and them incorporate my tweaks into the new file. This is so much safer ...

Magento Community
Magento Community

joyously
Guru

Total Posts:  447

joolsr - 24 October 2008 04:07 AM

What I have done is noted in a wiki every change I have made to templates layouts, so that when I upgrade, i will copy the magneto default into my own theme folder, and them incorporate my tweaks into the new file. This is so much safer ...

That’s basically what I’m doing too (without the wiki part), but it is a lot of work on an upgrade.
They always recommend you do not apply the upgrade to a production system, and I can see why, but it is really a hassle to fix things multiple times and you can’t just upgrade and be done. You have to revisit your changes and remember why each one changed. And that doesn’t include all the changes they make that break things you don’t even know about.

But then I guess this is built in to any system that is evolving. So make a version that works pretty good and never upgrade!

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community