Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

“secondary user” registration form

duke

Total Posts:  16

Hi, well, the thing goes as following:

-I’m developing a (partly) medical store and some of the users will be actual medical doctors
-I’m going to add an extra (or two) user fields to differentiate normal users from medics
-I need to make those medics to be registered in its own customer group (called “medics” =0!!)

Issue #1
I already know how to add the extra user fields(http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/custom_account/registration_fields), the thing is I’m not sure about how to get the new customer to be registered automatically in that “medics” user group.

Issue#2
I’d love to do this as a separate “module”, I mean the registration form, instead of modifying the actual one, so that this becomes update resistant as an extension of magento (not a hack).

Hope you can help me, oh so mighty Magento community =)

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

duke

Anyone? =(

Magento Community
Magento Community

nikefido
Guru

Total Posts:  481
New Haven, CT

Well you can still just override the Core files without actually editing the Core files, which will still make your modules update friendly.
This kind of thing will most likely require a new module, with it’s own install script (and therefore a little study of how the database is set up for users / user groups)
This module can easily be an extension / override of the current Magento registration rather than a whole new module (and be update friendly)

Magento Community
Magento Community

duke

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I’ve already programmed a payment module so I have some idea of how magento works, however I’ve found the documentation very lacking for something the size of Magento… I am currently taking a look at this: http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/custom_module_with_custom_database_table, but I don’t know precisely how o what is needed to extend Magento in an update-friendly manner. Could you point me to the right direction?

Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

vianetz
Guru

Total Posts:  537
Munich, Germany

A good starting point would be to install the module creator mentioned in this wiki article and play a little bit around with it.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community