Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 3
Magento performance improvement

lorik

Total Posts:  81
Grenoble

Hi,

It seems that lot ot Magento users all around the world meet problems with performances. Magento is a great tool for e-commerce, but occurs problems with large catalogs and/or high trafic.

this post is not to provide or ask for a solution, but only to ask for opening a new part in this forum, only dedicated to this problem.

I saw lots of posts regarding performance, cache, etc… and I sure that such new part in the forum should meet success.

Moreover, I think that performance issues in Magento is a real problem that is able to block the developement of Magento based solutions for importants business.

so, part of the solution come from hosting, server cache, mysql cache, and some hosting companies should share their know how regarding server optimisation for Magento.

But part of the solution come directly from Magento itself : cache issues (there are some !), missing index in somes tables, huge mysql requests, and so on (as simple search wich is howfull with lots of attributes).

so, my opinion is that this forum needs a dedicated section to performance improvment.

What’s yours ? and what think Varien about this (great job done Varien , really great !)

Best regards

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

taikahn

Total Posts:  35

I agree its slow. Needs to be much faster for real world use.

Magento Community
Magento Community

mimecine

Total Posts:  4

So which tables are they that need indexes?  What queries etc… Let’s get to it:)

Magento Community
Magento Community

lorik

Grenoble

hi,

Regarding index, eg catalog_category_entity on entity_type_id and path, that seems to be used in many request. and with catalogs containing thousand of category, as all records needs to be scaned, it’s long.

Magento Community
Magento Community

mooncat

Total Posts:  7
Cambridge, UK

I’m considering a different approach: grabbing the results for product and category views and either writing them to a denormalised and heavily indexed caching database or writing the data to the file system as XML. Playing with this I can get a virtually instant recall of product information. The less flexible you make Magento the quicker it runs, unsurprisingly. By the way, using the API is even slower!

Magento Community
Magento Community

lorik

Grenoble

Hi Mooncat

This seems to be an interesting way to work, for search.

but how do you think to do this ? you expect to put all product information in an unique table, ok. But in such case, won’t it be more fast to have the whole information for one product in ONE FIELD, and to search in Fulltext inside ? i’m only speaking about quick search, of course.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sindre|ProperHost
Mentor

Total Posts:  1158

With the right hardware and some optimization, Magento runs quite fast actually. Nor does it have to cost hundreds of dollars a month.

Sure, Magento is more resource intensive than most of today’s web applications, and there is always room for improvements, but I think all the talk about poor performance is a bit exaggerated.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lorik

Grenoble

Hi Sindre

Sure, you’re right. But ‘right hardware’ means quickly lot of money. Most e-merchand come to Open source to save money on developpement. And if they have to pay much more for hosting, it’s less interesting for them.

Of course, Magento effer very nice features, no problem with that.

But you can’t say that Magento offer good performance regarding other open source solution, with the same hosting. To have good performance, with Magento, you have to optimize the server, use external cache as APC or other, Mysql cache, etc....

And even with such optimization, with big catalogs and/or big trafic, Magento collapse. (1.0, others, I don’t know).

Well, you are an hoster, so, can you recommand me a good hosting solution for Magento, 20 000 products, 1000 categories, 1000 manufacturers, and 4-500 simultaneous guys on the website ? Up to now, it doesn’t run, on a dedicated server, quadcore, 4G ram…

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sindre|ProperHost
Mentor

Total Posts:  1158

@lorik

With a store of that size you probably want to look into database clustering etc. I have no hands-on experience with such large catalogs, so can’t really comment on how it would run.

What I am saying is that small and medium sized stores should have no problem getting decent performance with a ~$20/mo hosting plan, and I don’t think the average e-commerce site have to deal with 400-500 simultaneous users.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lorik

Grenoble

Yes, you’re right regarding ‘average e-commerce’.  We buildt different magento based websites since april, and for most of them, performance is not an issue, even on a shared host.

But when we see the real profesionnal attitude of Varien, which is a profit company, and want (and it’s fair !) earn money with training and consultin worldwide, I think that will become a real issue for them if the plateform do not work well for medium-large e-commerce business : The small user won’t pay for training or consulting. Only the big ones do that.

Magento Community
Magento Community

SimpleHelixcom
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  906
Huntsville, AL

What specific problems are you currently facing?

Magento Community
Magento Community

lorik

Grenoble

hi SimpleHelix,

the first problem is that with the current hosting (quadcore, 4Go ram), the website is very very slow : Most page never open, (timeout).

So what has been done : Optimization of mysql cache (64Mo), APC cache, and Magento EAV_cache.

So, with this config, performance id far better… but not enough with 4-500 users.

So, a migration to cluster is in progress : One server for database, an other for scripts. Ok, that’s true that one server is not enough....

But there’s an other problem : 
- Using EAV cache (without, forget having the website one day open !), many errors occurs, always the same : invalid_entity_type. And this issue is inquietant, as even if it has been noticed in many posts and bug tracker, there not any explaination of the reason why, and not any solution provided, either deleting the cache file or… disable EAV_cache.

So, even with a cluster, it’s not sure that without EAV cache, the website will reach correct performance. :(

Magento Community
Magento Community

SimpleHelixcom
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  906
Huntsville, AL

Well I’m not too sure if clustering will help you there too much in terms of the performance department.

The best solution for you is to get a faster disk to increase your I/O speeds. Perhaps a SAS on a RAID 10 will offer you the best performance gains out of any tweaking you might be doing there.

There also is a new type of disks out, called the SSD disks which might be an overkill for most, but possibly the perfect solution for you. It is going to be very costly and you are already looking at around $1,000/month for that setup (market price).

We will be offering this type of SSD Hosting very soon but we still have a lot of testing to do on this (currently we are performing a 2 week long burn-in test on our test server) to see if there are any issues under continous high load. This is because it’s a new technology and there is always a risk in them if you don’t perform adequate tests on it.

Magento Community
Magento Community

mikej165

Total Posts:  89

Clustering a database generally gives you more head room and, when properly implemented, redundancy; you’ll be able to support more users and, in the event of a database failure, you should be able to sustain the crash. Neither is really going to give you performance improvements, all things being equal.

When it comes to any application that is DB intensive, performance tuning is absolutely critical. Unfortunately, many people tend to run Magento in shared hosting environment where there is no possibility for MySQL tuning or in VPS environments which don’t feature adequate resources. In both cases you wont be able to achieve solid performance. In the case of the former, there are so many users competing for DB resources (chiefly memory) that it will never be able to achieve a high enough cache hit ratio; this means every (or most) transactions have to hit the physical disk. In the case of a VPS, if not enough memory is dedicated to MySQL, it also won’t be able to adequately cache and you’ll be disk-I/O bound and performance will suffer.

You don’t need to spend hundreds each month on Magento hosting, but you do need to go for something beyond entry-level hosting in order to achieve general snappiness. On a properly configured/tuned system, Magento can really scream and the difference between that and run-of-the-mill hosting is truly astonishing.

Magento Community
Magento Community

mooncat

Total Posts:  7
Cambridge, UK

The main problem with Magento is the EAV architecture. It gives you the flexibility to represent anything, but requires a lot of work by the servers. In addition, most of the data is effectively static so good caching should improve speed significantly. There should be no reason to get the same information from the database again and again.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lorik

Grenoble

Yes, but the EAV cache seems buggy :(

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community