Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

“We buy your stuff”, a feature where customers can trade-in their stuff for cash or credit? 

Computer Candy

Total Posts:  3

Hello, I am new here but have some good experience with osCommerce and Zen Cart.  I will be starting a new project very, very soon now and I have been looking for something else that might better fit my needs and time constraints for customization.  While digging for something that will fit these needs, I discovered Magento.

I have done a lot of looking around here at the site, the forums, the store demo, etc.  So far I am very excited with what I see.  There are a lot of things about it that I really like and it looks beautiful.  However, there is one main thing that I will really need that I do not see.

I need my site to have a “Sell and/or trade-in your stuff” feature. (AKA “trade-in your stuff for cash or credit") Kind of a reverse version of the store.  I buy and sell video games and need to have a section where people can look up their games to see what I will pay for them or what their trade-in values are.  I already have a massive Excel spreadsheet of all US produced video games and my buy, sell and trade-in values.  I have everything from the time of the original Nintendo to the newest generation video games cataloged.  I will even be adding Atari soon.

Anyhow, this will be a vital part of my site.  I do not necessarily need it at launch but will come the new year at the latest.

In case anyone is interested in more details of how I need it to function… customers can choose the game or accessory they want to sell or trade-in and then check a couple option boxes for if it includes it’s original case or manual, etc.  Games must meet clearly stated quality standards if they wish to be submitted.

Once a customer is ready to checkout with this feature, they will be given two final values… a cash value and a trade-in value.  The trade-in value is essentially a store credit.  Once they submit their items, they will have x amount of time to send their items to us for review.  Once received, the items will be assessed to make sure they meet our quality and testing agreement at the time of submission.  After which, they will be issued a check or store credit depending on their choice made at submission.

I hope that all makes sense.  “We buy your stuff” ecommerce is getting huge now.  Just a few years a go there wasn’t too much of it, but it’s spreading like crazy now.  It is a feature my site will rely on nearly completly for new inventory since we will primarily sell -used- video games.

If anyone knows if there is an add-on that I missed or a of a way that this can be done, please comment.  Otherwise, I am not at all opposed to commissioning someone to code it for the right price.

Comments of any kind are of course welcome.

Thank you!
-CC

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

J_T_
Mentor

Total Posts:  1961
London-ish, UK

Not possible out of the box and have not seen a Module for it either. But it’s certainly possible.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Computer Candy

Ok, thank you very much for the reply!

Where do you think might be the best place to go about commissioning someone to code something like this for me for Magenta?

Thanks again!
-CC

Magento Community
Magento Community

J_T_
Mentor

Total Posts:  1961
London-ish, UK

http://www.magentocommerce.com/jobs or Get a Freelancer.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Computer Candy

Ok, thank you very much!  Now that I have visited there I actually remember having seen that early on while checking out Magento but forgot all about it until you reminded me.

Thanks again!
-CC

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community