Magento Forum

Can I enter my products by a notepad file or some chart offline? Entering them through admin is crazy slow! 

haynest

Total Posts:  16

I am wondering if there is a way I can make an offline file on my computer and then upload that file to magento or my ftp to enter my products into my database. I have sooooo many products and its gonna take at lease 2 months for me to enter all of my products. To give you all an idea of how slow its going. I can enter 1 simple product every 45 seconds. Each simple product only needs the price, description, and sku. I am just duplicating the product over and over so all of the base information is there.

So yes, if anybody knows of a way I can do this that would be great. By the way I have searched around the forums for speeds up tips and what not. I have even seen the posts on hosting being an issue. My website itself loads and functions fine. But putting these products in is brutal!  Thanks for any help in advance.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

joyously
Guru

Total Posts:  447

Let me introduce you to DataFlow. 
It’s not actually called that on the admin menus.

Go to System -> Import/Export -> Profiles.
There you will find the default profiles for importing and exporting data en mass. I suggest you export first, then download the file and edit it to duplicate the products, then upload, and then import.

Magento Community
Magento Community

haynest

Total Posts:  16

Hot pot-o-coffee!
Wow, thats kinda overwhelming to learn on the fly. I tried to look for a wiki or how-to in order to grasp this a little better. You got any sources on learning import/export?  I’ll play with it but any references you have please post them!

Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Voot

Total Posts:  261
Long Beach, CA

I dont think theres any Wiki for it yet however its pretty easy, just go to System > Import/Export > Profiles and choose export all products. Once you export it follow the grid and add products accordingly. Then import.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Ivor J

Total Posts:  17

haynest

Create a sample product first in the store. complete as many fields. Then export that product. Look at the file, You’ll now have a template to create a file with many products. Our store has 2000 products now, imported 200 at a time

Ta

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community