Magento Forum

Import (Data FLow) large list

zadpro

Total Posts:  247
FL, USA

It is version 1.1.6 and the problem with importing/exporting large database still exists. I have posted couple times and apparently there is no solution for this. I have not heard anything from any Magento Team member in this regard even though this issue is a big deal for store owners with thousands of products.
I have a client with ~9700 product in his Magento store, and he wants to update the price and quantity frequently (every 2 hours). I managed to convert his supplier XML file to CSV compatible with Magento and I can Import via DataFlow, but the problems are:
1- Import takes for ever,
2- The import process just locks up frequently. So I have to go back and split the csv file to 4-5 files in order to be able to import everything. This is not doable for a large store.

I wonder if anyone else has the same problem or any idea on how this can be fixed or any other workarounds.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

robhs

Total Posts:  1

I am having exactly the same problems. Can we have an update from some the Magento team on what work is going on to improve the import / export process because the current fuctionality is simply not upto the job.

I am really impressed by Magento and think it will be a great platform, but unless I can find a robust way of getting data in and out on a scheduled basis, or be assured that it is in the pipeline I will have to look elsewhere.  By data I principally mean Products, Category Structure, Related Products etc - .

I have used Demandware and their XML ( Real XML!) structure for importing data was great - (albeit little over complicated) but gave total flexibility for the FAST importing and updating of ALL data. If anyone at Magento wants me to show you some sample XML import data I would be more than happy to share it.

Magento Community
Magento Community

laggs2003

Total Posts:  1

Currently I’m doing research into picking the ecommerce solution that will fit my companies’ needs. Everything that I have seen or read about regarding magento looks very promising that this could be the product. My biggest concern is in regards to both of the above posts. Our site will have a product catalog that will have somewhere in the ball park of 60k products. I would like to set it up so that the data feeds from our suppliers are auto updated in order to keep product availability as accurate as possible. Updating them say for example every 2 hours right now doesn’t look like something that would be possible, based on what I have been reading. I guess the bottom line right now for me is if this product will work for me here and now. I think in the long run the product will be great simply because of the ease of being able to customize it to your needs. But the problems with products catalogs of a large size is a huge deal. Should I start developing the store with magento or just save myself some time and effort by going another route.

Magento Community
Magento Community

joyously
Guru

Total Posts:  447

laggs2003 - 14 October 2008 06:52 AM

Should I start developing the store with magento or just save myself some time and effort by going another route.

Say yourself several months of struggle and use a different shopping cart.
Maybe later when it’s more mature, Magento will have fixed its performance issues and actually be usable. 
You can write a script to force-feed the data into the database pretty quickly, but the rest of the application has the same problems. Slow for the admin, slow for the user, LOTS of issues (just take a look at these forums).

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community