Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Considering switching over to Magento

B3ndy

Total Posts:  3

Good evening all,

Firstly, congratulations on a great userbase, some really interesting reads in these forum!

Ok then, I wanted to ask a few questions about Magento as I am considering moving my online shop over. Apologies if this isn’t the correct place for a post such as this, but I think a lot of these are ‘How / Can I?’.

Questions:

1. I know Magento now has an import / export function, how good is this? The reason I ask is our current site has over 5000 items we would need to import and doing this manually is just not possible.

2. Sticking with the export, does Magento support exporting products to third party shopping sites such as Amazon and eBay? This again would be critical as we do a large amount of cross selling and manually maintaining several product lists is difficult at the best of time.

3. Payment gateways, does Magneto support an enyrypted email gateway? Also what are the other payment options available?

4. Would Magento happily run on a Windows server?

I am sure I have a million other questions, but I am sure I can find the answers somewhere!

Many thanks,

Ben

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

Hello Ben - Welcome to the community. I’ve answered your questions below:

1. I know Magento now has an import / export function, how good is this? The reason I ask is our current site has over 5000 items we would need to import and doing this manually is just not possible.

Magento is currently in a preview release and an import/export functionality has been released. You can check it out in this screencast

2. Sticking with the export, does Magento support exporting products to third party shopping sites such as Amazon and eBay? This again would be critical as we do a large amount of cross selling and manually maintaining several product lists is difficult at the best of time.

Magento can certainly support such functionality, but is not available right now out of the box. You can develop the functionality on your own.

3. Payment gateways, does Magneto support an enyrypted email gateway? Also what are the other payment options available?

Payment methods currently supported are Paypal, Paypal Payflow Pro, and Authorize.net. Google Checkout is also expected soon.

4. Would Magento happily run on a Windows server?

So far we’ve heard positive feedback in regards to running Magento in a Windows environment.

Magento Community
Magento Community

B3ndy

Roy, thank you very much for your ligtning fast reply.

I think you answered all my questions, and having a good search around seems to have helped.

With regards the the payment gateways, is it possible to set up just a capture of details (card etc) so the payment could be taken offline?

Magento Community
Magento Community

winans_fred

Total Posts:  83

That particular merchant account setting is handled within the merchant account itself.  You have two options, one is “Authorize and Capture”, and another is simply “Authorize”.  Authorize alone will do everything but actually charge the customer’s card, so that piece is (usually) not managed from the e-commerce administration area.

Magento Community
Magento Community

B3ndy

Awesome, well I guess I better get downloading.

Many thanks for the replys.

Ben

Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

Yes - you can capture a CC and process it offline smile

Magento Community