Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Beta File Size 58.7Mb ~ Justification

Jesse-Lee Stringer

Total Posts:  18
Melbourne, Australia

Hi Guys,

Nice to see that we’ve got a beta to play with, much appreciated.

My first query is the current file sizes for the Beta, no doubt we’ll be seeing a gradual increase in the release lifecycle and would like to enquire are there modules enclosed that we would otherwise not use/be aware of?

I’m relating to items such as TinyMCE, Addons/Modules etc.
Bear in mind I’m yet to finish downloading the package, yet alone upload to install.

Lastly does the community plan to see a ‘light’ version (no, I’m not haggling rasberry) in the future with minimal modules included/required.

Jesse-Lee Stringer

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

iblastoff

Total Posts:  252

yes there is a light version in the works.

the bulk of the download seems to come from the demo product images (taking up about 46 megs!), which i personally believe is a huge waste of download/bandwidth for us and magento.  there are also a ton of duplicate images?? i dont see why they couldn’t have been replaced with a couple of generic ‘product image x’ files rather than an unsightly amount of pictures of shoes and laptops and cellphones etc etc etc

Magento Community
Magento Community

mckooter

Total Posts:  91

i think its also good to mention, that when the magento team was creating the first demo preview release, they were showing an amazing project and wanted to make sure to show off what it is capable of, using much less images and lower resolution would have made a smaller package but wouldnt have really given the same effect, yes a lighter version is in the works but I am actually impressed with the existing package, the filesize is huge but when creating a large oscommerce site 80+ MB is a small dent in a much bigger picture

Magento Community
Magento Community

Jesse-Lee Stringer

Total Posts:  18
Melbourne, Australia

Thanks for the replies,

I understand how much investment Varien has made into the project so from a financial standpoint I understand why it’s so large now.
Guess I’ll better get started beta testing eh..

Jesse

Magento Community
Magento Community

willwade

Total Posts:  3

A lot of the build is also the zend library.
I think it may be a good idea if Varien either tell people to download this sepratley or build it into the auto installer.. (some of us may actually (suprising as this sounds) already have the latest zend library installed on the install path)

Magento Community
Magento Community

austinstorm

Total Posts:  31
Moscow, ID

There looks to be a lot of extra zend stuff in there, but it’s not an unreasonable size. My bookstore’s site is several *gigabytes*, and the code was at least 200mb when I first downloaded it. (and that’s with no pictures or fancy extras… and I paid over a thousand dollars for it!)

user eco20 has posted his efforts to split up the archive: http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/141/

Magento Community
Magento Community

howellnick

Total Posts:  13

So seeing that most people are thinking “WTF?” when they see the +50MB download I went ahead and did a SVN->Export and made a new .zip and .tar.gz for those of you that want it.  MUCH smaller now!

.zip file (6.4MB): http://outpostenterprises.com/magento/magento-0.6.zip

.tar.gz (3.8MB): http://outpostenterprises.com/magento/magento-0.6.tar.gz

Magento Community
Magento Community

mckooter

Total Posts:  91

thanks frenchtoast, im still no good at svn, lol

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community