Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Something in CSS breaks IE 5 for Mac. Any thoughts? 

Lol

Total Posts:  68
Plymouth, UK

I know IE5 for Mac is prehistoric but, believe it or not, some of our visitors still use it.

For me, IE5 refuses to render a Magento page. If I strip out the CSS it shows all the content barring background images (unstyled of course).

Any idea which bit of the CSS in the boxes.css file might cause the problem?

How about older browsers on the PC? IE6 seems to work okay (although there are a few expected glitches), but what about Firefox 1 and 2? Firefox 3 is fine, as is Safari.

Any pointers that might help me figure out if it’s an easy fix or not would be great. Thanks!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

J_T_
Mentor

Total Posts:  1961
London-ish, UK

FF 2 works fine. Instead of spending hours fixing what you see, why not detect these users and prompt them “You are using a browser from 1996. Not only are we unable to display you this website because of this old browser, you are in fact running major security risks by continuing to use it. Please consider one of the following browsers instead: Usual Suspects Here”

Magento Community
Magento Community

Lol

Plymouth, UK

You are probably right. Sadly, for some users that probably means buying a new machine, as I don’t think there is a better browser option for OS 9?

Magento Community
Magento Community

J_T_
Mentor

Total Posts:  1961
London-ish, UK

Looks like it, according to the bottom paragraph on this page here, this is the only supported browser. Not sure about Safari though, surely it shipped with Safari to begin with?

Still I would think carefully about how to spend your time. What could you do to increase sales in those X hours you would have to spend debugging for a museum-piece of software? Link building, split testing etc. must surely add more to your bottom line? But you know your customers best…

Magento Community
Magento Community

Lol

Plymouth, UK

Thanks JT! I can’t get a response from the icab site at the moment but I’ll suggest their app as a possible option. I can test it under OS 9. Safari won’t work with OS 9. Yes, OS9 really was that long ago!

I’ve spent so many hours getting a Magento store running how I want it (well, as good as I’m going to get for now) that spending a few more hours sorting a browser problem seems like a holiday! :D

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community