Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

How long before full version? 

poisoner

Total Posts:  5

Hi
Just been checking out the demo store & my initial impression is that I love it!
Like many people I’ll be playing with this over the coming weeks & just wondered if you could give us a ‘heads up’ on roughly how long we ought to plan before being able to use Magento in full production.
Well done on the work so far & have a great weekend
Al

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Scott
Guru

Total Posts:  333
Northwest Ohio

The full version is expected Q1 of 2008. For more information:

http://www.magentocommerce.com/roadmap

Magento Community
Magento Community

poisoner

Total Posts:  5

Nice one Scott - thanks wink

Magento Community
Magento Community

73inches

Total Posts:  109
Germany, Hannover

Scott - 31 August 2007 07:11 AM

The full version is expected Q1 of 2008. For more information:

http://www.magentocommerce.com/roadmap

Hey Scott,

thanks for this information. I’m currently wirting my business plan and, by the time, planning to go online in around 60 days. Is it at your point of view recommendable to use Magento already? What’s about updating the system? Is it easy?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brandon

Total Posts:  76
Web Developer

Magento is not ready yet and isn’t expected to be ready within 60 days.  I want to use Magento for the project I’m currently working on, but it doesn’t match my timeline either.  My plan is to use a temporary cart (a hosted solution) until Magento is released and stable.  At that point I will develop Magento to match my needs and hopefully be able to make a smooth transition to a fully configured Magento store.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Scott
Guru

Northwest Ohio

Yes, if you can hold out, it will be so worth it. (Obviously you can see that now). Remember that in using an application that hasn’t been tested to its fullest extent, you are taking a huge risk, especially if you store credit card numbers in your database. This could cost you thousands of dollars. (For more information on that particular risk, see the agreement you signed when you received your merchant account/credit card gateway).

Other than this, if your site does get compromised because of a possible security hole, user data could be compromised as well.

Hang in there!

Magento Community
Magento Community

tomcoppi

Total Posts:  1

Good morning from germany - we tested several online-shop-systems during the last few weeks, and I can tell you that we will wait now for a stable version of Magento!
We tried some things for thousands of €, but, if we compared it now with the first views to Magento we made the decision to wait for!

Magento Community
Magento Community

austinstorm

Total Posts:  31
Moscow, ID

Some points…

First, contrary to Scott in #1 (nothing personal, Scott), the roadmap page does NOT say that a production release is due in Q1 2008. It says that Beta3 is scheduled to arrive around that time.

Second, the meaning of ‘beta’ has changed (thanks, Google *sarcasm*) so that it’s difficult to tell whether beta means “major security holes, show-stopping bugs” or “we plan on improving it, unless it gets popular and our ship comes in (we get bought out)” (see Gmail, flickr, etc.)

But lastly, there will always be something on the horizon that will be better, make your life easier, etc. You have to plan for today. I say, live on the wild side. Wait a few weeks to see if major security problems or complaints surface, then build with Magento knowing that every change you make now you might have to make again later when a new release arrives.

Hope this helps!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Scott
Guru

Northwest Ohio

Yeah, you’re right. I was viewing that roadmap optimistically I guess!

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community