Magento Forum

W3C validation, accessibility and non js browsing

SeL_
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1140
Paris, France

Hi Magento guys,

I read in the roadmap that you plan to develop non JS checkout.
But do you plan also to make all other functionnalities work without javascript ?
For example, on 0.6.13700, some links don’t work without js. And data form validation only work with js.
Will there be data validation on server side ? This would be necessary for accessibility concerns.

Other point: will the default template be W3C valid (HTML and CSS) ?

I read on this thread that you try to make efforts on accessibility. Does it take part of the roadmap (i don’t see it) ?

Thanks in advance and keep the good work.

SeL

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Mootrealm

Total Posts:  150
San Francisco, CA

Yeah… what he said. Just throwing out my vote for these ‘features’.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Nick Rigby

Total Posts:  57

I’m very interested in this too. Magento is a superb product, but the heavy reliability on JavaScript is a significant problem that breaks the accessibility of the site. JavaScript should be used to enhance the user experience, but the experience should not be broken when JavaScript is not available. I read that a JavaScript-free version of the checkout process is coming up, but as the original poster points out, it’s actually possible not to be able to get to the checkout process without JavaScript as JavaScript is required to trigger the “Add to Cart” button.

Are the Magento team looking into this?

Nick.

Magento Community
Magento Community

SeL_
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1140
Paris, France

A javascript free checkout process is on the roadmap :
* Alternative checkout methods (multi-step, javascript free)

Magento Community
Magento Community

lotusseedsD
Mentor

Total Posts:  1144

SeL, thank you for the head’s up. This is really a wonderful news for us who care about the Accessibility deeply – now I can stop messing around trying to get my OPC page js free smile

A suggestion, it would be also wonderful if you guys can get rid of ‘ onmouseover="toggleMenu(this,1)" onmouseout="toggleMenu(this,0)’ in the category menu – this one prevents the tab navigation for the second level categories.  I have just done that and replace the menu with jQuery Superfish. Need to learn to make a custom module for the Navigation.php before I can share the code though, as people aren’t interested in hacking the core.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community