Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Magento Platform Derivative

colinmollenhour

Total Posts:  50

I am working on stripping Magento down to a general purpose CMS/framework so that it may be used for general application development (not specific to ecommerce). In doing so I have done the following:

1. Downloaded and extracted Magento Community Edition
2. Deleted lots of files
3. Copied some files to the app/code/community directory and modified them slightly
4. Added a new module to fix some dependencies

I don\’t care to capitalize on this work at all, I simply want to develop applications on top of it. I am perfectly happy to release the above as OSL 3.0. However, I want to be sure that any applications built atop the above are still licensable commercially. Are there any legal impediments to this intent that anyone is aware of?

From what I gather, if a product were to be built on the above stripped down version of Magento, it would have to be packaged as such. E.g. Client downloads the above and then downloads the commercial extension to the above. Or could they be packaged together so long as the license was properly included with the above portion and the above portion was made publicly available?

As a simple matter of filesize and cleanliness it is nice to have the unneeded files deleted for the redistributable. Would it be better to make Magento the redistributable even though it includes the unneeded files?

Thanks,
Colin

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

hyteckit

Total Posts:  166
Los Angeles, CA

Strangely, I want to do the opposite and replace Magento’s CMS and template system with something simpler and easier to create templates for.

Why don’t you just use joomla, drupal, or even wordpress.

Magento Community
Magento Community

colinmollenhour

It’s pretty obvious from my post that I don’t want to do it for the CMS, I want to do it for the framework. Magento’s framework is a top-notch, enterprise-quality piece of work, a totally separate league from Joomla, Drupal and Wordpress (ha) as development platforms. Besides, they are all GPL.. yuck.

Magento Community
Magento Community

hyteckit

Total Posts:  166
Los Angeles, CA

You mean the Zend Framework which Magento is using?

http://www.zend.com/en/community/framework

Magento Community
Magento Community

colinmollenhour

I meant for this to be a discussion on the legal implications and not the merits.. Agreed, unit tests for the framework would be great. Also, documentation for the framework would be great. However, as you said, Magento is based on ZF which is unit tested, so in a way, a good portion of Magento is unit tested and documented. I’ve used ZF before, but ZF is a barebones framework. Magento includes so many more features.. block based layouts, theme fallback, config interface, module conventions, ACL, an excellent grid system, an autoloading mechanism that doesn’t suck, transparently overridden classes, EAV (for the masochists), a decent CMS, a soap API, excellent error handling, i18n, etc.. These are all features that could be useful in any app, not just a shopping cart. Sure the learning curve is steep, but once you’ve learned it, using ZF by itself feels like you’re back in the ice age.

Regardless, here is Mage Lite for those that are interested: http://github.com/colinmollenhour/magento-lite

Magento Community
Magento Community

magiclogixinc

Total Posts:  21
Dallas, TX

hyteckit - 25 April 2010 12:13 AM

You mean the Zend Framework which Magento is using?

http://www.zend.com/en/community/framework

The Varien libs and Magento core add several layers on top of the Zend Framework, in effect creating its own framework.

Also, I often find myself digging deep in the code, and my observation seems to be many of the Varien libraries were first created separate from Zend, and only later were modified to work with Zend.  This creates even more differentiation from Zend.

There are indeed visible remnants of Zend Framework in the Magento background, but they’re pretty well hidden.  Magento in of itself is a framework built on top of a framework, and I think the OP realized this and saw Magento’s potential as a general purpose framework.  I’m inclined to agree with him.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community