Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Customers logged out immediately after logging in [RESOLVED]

WhoIsGregg

Total Posts:  64
Tampa, Florida

Hello!

Unfortunately, I never tested this feature before upgrading to 1.1.5 today so I can’t say whether it’s related or not, but here goes…

1. Customer logs in to their account successfully
2. They click any link from within their account (Address Book, My Orders, Edit Address, etc.)
3. They are redirected back to the login page and are required to login again.
4. They log in successfully and are taken to the page they requested.
5. They edit the details on that page and click to “Save” the changes.
6. They are redirected back to the login page and are required to login again.
7. They log in successfully and the data they just entered has been lost.

Upon testing, as soon as a customer logs in, they are immediately logged back out again. Even if they sign in then click back to the home page, the “Welcome, {{name}}!” block will not show up.

Any thoughts on what to test here? I’ve done a lot of forum searches and couldn’t find any one else reporting this issue. :( :(

This occurs when using either the default template or the modern template.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Crucial
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  770
Phoenix, AZ

Have you tried this:

http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/8788/P15/#t47950

And if that doesn’t work, scroll down a couple posts and look for talk about increasing the cookie lifetime.

Magento Community
Magento Community

WhoIsGregg

Tampa, Florida

I have not tried that… However, I did attempt to clear the var/session and var/cache files to fix the problem without success.

Upon further testing, I’ve learned that the only browsers affected by this bug are Safari and Chrome, suggesting it’s a webkit/cookie issue.

Possibly with the cookie being sent over https without the secure flag set?

I’d love if someone else could confirm whether or not this bug exists in their Magento installation (using Safari for Mac or Chrome for Windows).

Magento Community
Magento Community

WhoIsGregg

Tampa, Florida

Ahh, I cannot reproduce this bug on the official Magento Demo store running at http://demo.magentocommerce.com/

Of course, that’s at version 1.1.6, so perhaps they’ve fixed it in that release? Can anyone else confirm this bug exists or does not exist under Safari/Chrome for their Magento installation?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Seba G Gonnelli
Guru

Total Posts:  336

@WhoIsGregg: Besides not following Crucial’s advice, you are also testing on a non supported browser smile

Supported Browsers are:

* Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 and above
* Mozilla Firefox 2.0 and above
* Apple Safari 2.x

Chrome is not supported yet for being a Beta version.

On our dev environment 1.1.5 and lower versions it’s not happening, you may consider what Crucial posted before.

Magento Community
Magento Community

WhoIsGregg

Tampa, Florida

Tomas G. - 17 September 2008 02:16 PM

@WhoIsGregg: Besides not following Crucial’s advice

I have followed Crucial’s advice. My app/etc/local.xml file was already set to files. I cleared my var/cache and var/session folders again (for probably the 10th time in the last couple days) and I checked that my core_session was empty. Still no luck.

I had already extended my cookie lifetime and confirmed in the browser that the cookie was being set with the correct expiration date, so no luck there either.

Tomas G. - 17 September 2008 02:16 PM

you are also testing on a non supported browser smile

While I appreciate the reality of selective browser support, that’s really not a helpful answer in this situation.

Safari 3.x has been out for about 11 months. Given the nature of software updates for Mac users, that is a sufficient time period to cause Safari 2.x to be almost completely obsolete. On my sites less than 3.5% of the Safari users haven’t upgraded to 3.x.

For comparison, that’d be like supporting Internet Explorer, but only version 5.5.

Magento Community
Magento Community

WhoIsGregg

Tampa, Florida

We’ve gone into some basic user testing even though I haven’t resolved the Safari bug.

A user reported and I’ve confirmed that on my installation, under Firefox 2 & 3, adding an item to their wishlist will log out the user.  And, just visiting the wishlist page will log out a logged in user.

I’ve checked the demo.magentocommerce.com store for this bug and they do not have it. So, clearly, there is something wrong with my installation… I’ve modified no core files, only template files (and nothing to do with the wishlist).

Is there a way to see phpinfo for the demo store? Maybe it’s a conflict in my php settings?

Any thoughts on where I should look?

Thanks in advance for any ideas! I’m really really stuck here. :(

Magento Community
Magento Community

WhoIsGregg

Tampa, Florida

Fixed it…

System -> Configuration -> Scope: “Default Config” -> Customers -> Customer Configuration -> Account Sharing Options -> Share Customer Accounts -> MUST BE SET TO “Global”

Setting it to “Per website” breaks wishlist functionality in Firefox and all logins in Safari. Because the System tab is unavailable in the demo store, I can’t test whether this bug exists in other installations.

I’ll file a bug. smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

shamann

Total Posts:  15

I have this problem with Magento 1.2.0.1
I’ve tried everything written above and in related threads, and end up with:
(I was using IE7 and FF3)

1. Deleting var\cash var\session directories helped for some period of time, I thought that it was problem with saving(or accessing) session files. But (!) then problem appeared again.
2. Switching sessions saving method from “files” to “db” and back - no luck.
3. Increasing cookies lifetime - did not help.
4. Switch Customer Configuration -> Account Sharing Options --> Share Customer Accounts from “Per Website” to “Global” - resolved (FINALLY). When I switch it back to “Per Website” - problem occurs again. 

The only thing that I did’n tried - reinstalling Magento from scratch, but I have to different installations - both having this issue.

Tested on two environments:
1) Magento 1.2.0.1 no addons / XAMPP/ WIN XP SP3
2) Magento 1.2.0.1 no addons /XAMPP/ WIN Server 2003
browsers IE7, FF3, Chrome, Opera

Seems that it is still a bug in per website account sharing functionality.

Could anyone suggest a workaround or fix?

Magento Community
Magento Community

David Joor

Total Posts:  5

All of a sudden I started having this problem and I believe it stems from DST.  I have been testing Magento for a few weeks and I could come back to the site 2 days later and still have my cart full from when I left.  Now while I am even going through checkout it loses the cart.

I updated the time on the server and that allowed me to login as long as the time was a couple minutes ahead of my computer.  I have dumped the var/session var/cache core_sessions table and about to try cookie lifetime change.  I ma and have always been using file.

Magento Community
Magento Community

dfrick

Total Posts:  8
SF Bay Area

I have what appears to be the same issue, but it doesn’t go away when changing Customer Configuration -> Account Sharing Options to “global”.

This issue appears when setting “Use Secure URLs in Frontend” to Yes.

Here is the flow to reproduce for me:

1. add a product to the shopping cart
2. click on “proceed to checkout”

Expected result: https checkout page
Actual result: empty shopping cart page

The issue definitely is tied somehow to switching between http and https. As long as I stay on one or the other I’m fine, but as soon as I switch, my cart is emptied.

If I turn off Use Secure URLs in Frontend, or if I force secure and unsecure base urls to be https everything works.

Any ideas? I wanted to roll the site live tonight, but this has to be fixed first.

NOTE: Moved this post to http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/60749/ to get it out of a “resolved” subject thread.

UPDATE: I was able to find the solution to my issue. See the url above for the solution!

Magento Community
Magento Community

woody24

Total Posts:  19

This issue seems to be very general. What works for some, doesn’t work for others. I have tried about all suggestions, and nothing still works for me.

If you’d care to see what my problem is, please see this thread. http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/60241/

I have just about what everybody has here, only my issue is only in IE.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community