Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

How do I clear old credit card information? (PCI-Compliance)

Michael R

Total Posts:  8

I have a customer who will be using offline credit card processing, so we use the “Credit Card (saved)” payment option to save the CC information to the database. Technically this information should not remain stored anywhere once it is no longer needed. I can imagine a site getting hacked four years down the road and having years worth of credit card numbers.... not good. PCI compliance (and good general practice) require this.

What I want to know is if there is any way to easily clear this data perhaps some time period after the order is marked as Complete or something, or if there might even be a way to do this in Magento by using another configuration method (that doesn’t involve an online gateway).

I imagine it could be cleared with a mysql query on the relevant fields and a cron job, but this could potentially wreck an install on later upgrades, so I wanted to avoid it. Any ideas?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

greggsand

Total Posts:  29

I’d like to know this too.

Maybe a button that allows you to purge everything but the last 4 digits once you’ve processed the order. Or maybe it could happen automatically when the order is marked as complete.

Magento Community
Magento Community

paulbetteridge

Total Posts:  5

has this been solved?

Magento Community
Magento Community

abirdd

Total Posts:  20
Canada

If anyone is still trying to solve this issue, I could not find ANY help ( Except for paying 100 bucks for a module) so I just built my own.  http://store.abirdd.com/creditcard/magento-credit-card-purger.html $20 bucks for life, includes updates / fixes / help

It is a formal module which runs with the magento CRON feature. default setup is to purge credit cards from completed orders hourly, I also have a page which would run the purge immediatly (for example if you do not have cron setup).

Let me know if you have any questions.

Derek

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community