Magento Forum

HELP! My To Do List

beau

Total Posts:  50

http://www.mctwinklinsonline.com

I’m trying to wrap up a Christmas Store. I feel like I’ve been at 75% completion for half a year now. Some changes have been very easy, some are confusing. This is tied to a local store in Atlanta that caters to Interior Design/Decor holiday themed customers. Not your typical christmas ornaments and lights

Currently, some things have me stumped:

DEMO modeHow can I enable the message that says no transactions will work right now?

favicon.ico: I’ve updated the favicon.ico on the root level of the store, I’ve updated the favicon.ico files in both themes, I’ve updated the php file that points to the favicon.ico file, and yet, it’s still the M icon.

Right column order: I want the newsletter signup first. Currently, it’s coded into the same element as the flash countdown file (right.php maybe?) but those other blocks continue to appear above it. I read in a thread that I need to change the order by altering the “before=” and “after=” pieces. I cannot find those. Is the “before” in a file or in the administrator interface?

Basic layout challenges: As you can see, I haven’t messed with the CSS much. I’m a web designer, but the nested styles etc seem to be beyond my scope. The only things I’d like to change now are the blue lines that continue all the way across the page at the top and the bottom.

I’ve got more things to do, but they are much easier - just text changes, etc. If you’re checking out the site and something else jumps out at you, could you let me know? Thanks!!

ps: one thing I’m pretty happy about are the flash-based headlines on each page. I created a single file that’s passing a variable into the flash file. It’s dynamically writing the headline text in the font that I want, instead of my having to create a headline image for every section. THAT saved me a ton of time.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Nobby

Total Posts:  22

to remove the blue line on the bottom of your layout edit boxes.css in your theme and find

.footer-container 
border
-top:1px solid #B6D1E2;
}

change to

.footer-container 
/*border-top:1px solid #B6D1E2;*/
}

to edit the top nav bar again in boxes.css edit

.header-nav-container 
background
:#0A263D url(../images/nav_bg.jpg) no-repeat scroll 50% 0;
}

to

.header-nav-container 
/*background:#0A263D url(../images/nav_bg.jpg) no-repeat scroll 50% 0;*/
}

and in menu.css find

#nav 
font-size:1.1em;
padding:0 20px;
z-index:999;
}

and change to

#nav 
font-size:1.1em;
padding:0 20px;
z-index:999;
background:#0A263D url(../images/nav_bg.jpg) no-repeat scroll 50% 0;
}

you may need to play around with the padding but it will get you started.  grin

p.s. your favicon worked for me?

Magento Community
Magento Community

tinotriste

Total Posts:  21
Bolton, UK

In regards to the favicon issue.
I suggest that you clear cache in the magento admin setting and clear yor browser’s cache (after uploading the favicon to the root folder AND the main folder for your theme)
However some servers cache the favicon, so it may take time to appear. In my site took 24 hours.

Magento Community
Magento Community

beau

Thanks for the help. I cleared my cache, the magento cache, I cashed a check and I ate every cashew in my house. I’m still seeing the M, but if you’re seeing the other one, then it must be some oddity with my browser or something.

Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

lotusseedsD
Mentor

Total Posts:  1144

I see Christmas coming and I feel peace in my heart smile

DEMO modeHow can I enable the message that says no transactions will work right now?

The quickest way is to add the message in the ‘Welcome to M.C. Twinklins!

favicon.ico: I’ve updated the favicon.ico on the root level of the store, I’ve updated the favicon.ico files in both themes, I’ve updated the php file that points to the favicon.ico file, and yet, it’s still the M icon.

I see your favicon all right

Right column order: I want the newsletter signup first. Currently, it’s coded into the same element as the flash countdown file (right.php maybe?) but those other blocks continue to appear above it. I read in a thread that I need to change the order by altering the “before=” and “after=” pieces. I cannot find those. Is the “before” in a file or in the administrator interface?

Look into XML files in the layout folder for those blocks.

Basic layout challenges: As you can see, I haven’t messed with the CSS much. I’m a web designer, but the nested styles etc seem to be beyond my scope. The only things I’d like to change now are the blue lines that continue all the way across the page at the top and the bottom.

I think someone asked about this before and my response was looked for header-container of the sort.

I’ve got more things to do, but they are much easier - just text changes, etc. If you’re checking out the site and something else jumps out at you, could you let me know? Thanks!!

I think you need to work on your body background. For example, you already have this background image repeat-x in the body, but you should change the background color from white to something closer to the bottom part of the background image. The snow flakes are too ‘hard’. If you don’t know how to make it soft in photoshop, probably you can find free snow flake photoshop brush with a googel search.
The wrapper background images (left and right side) should use PNG alpha too as the white background looks rather ugly with your body background image.

Magento Community
Magento Community

beau

Oh snap! That’s not a linear gradient, that’s a radial one! I didn’t catch that when i was working on my laptop, but on my desktop I can see it now. That explains the oddness with tiling. Though, to be honest, I kind of like it.

But okay - I also see the sudden change in color. That’s no good. I made that change 2 nights ago, after making this post. I’ll update that right now. I want the flakes to be hard to match the flash countdown module, and because the back is a gif, I’m trying to keep it tiny.

About the DEMO MODE part though - I’m worried about people making purchases while we’re testing the ordering phase of this. Is there a way to disable the checkout or something?

Magento Community
Magento Community

sherrie

Total Posts:  1655
Waterloo, ON

As the DEMO NOTICE goes, it’s actually there for you - look at your app/design/frontend/default/YOURTEMPLATENAME/template/page/ files.

In 1column.phtml in the modern template you’ll find it on line 33, it looks like this:

<?php /*<p class="demo-notice"><?php echo $this->__('This is a demo store. Any orders placed through this store will not be honored or fulfilled.') ?></p>*/ ?>

Simply remove the /* */ so it looks like this

<?php <class="demo-notice"><?php echo $this->__('This is a demo store. Any orders placed through this store will not be honored or fulfilled.'?></p?>
and then make sure it is uncommented on the other template pages you’re using as well.

smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

beau

Thanks Sherrie as always. You are awesome. Do you do these for a living? I’m amazed at how well you know Magento… do you spend hours on it everyday? How did you learn all this?

Magento Community
Magento Community

sherrie

Total Posts:  1655
Waterloo, ON

Thanks smile

I do use Magento quite a bit at my job both on inhouse and client projects - sometimes I do small freelance projects with it as well. Basically I just learn as I go - some of it I know from exploring the software and some of it I know from asking questions. smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

Linergy

Total Posts:  8

You should change the search box background, as the magento header still shows around the border, it is inconsistent with your header.

Magento Community
Magento Community

beau

ack! Thanks for catching that!

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community