Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

how to change product type from simple to configurable? 

Ali_Engr

Total Posts:  42

I have added a lot of products with product type as simple and want to change product from simple to configurable for custom attribute on front-end like drop downs.

Any body know this? or i need to add new products?

Thanks,

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

team_in_medias

Total Posts:  113
Aachen, Germany

Hi Ali_Engr,

there is no direct way to do that. It could work if you do it by database directly (table catalog_product_entity), but this is not the official way and comes with no warranty.

Andreas

Magento Community
Magento Community

joyously
Guru

Total Posts:  447

If you try the code I posted on this thread http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/6941/P45/ you can change them in an import.
I would export all the products, then modify the csv file so it has the configurable instead of simple, the attributes you want to configure, and the skus of the products to associate. (probably delete the lines for the products you don’t want to affect)
Then use my code to import. I still haven’t fixed the part about getting the has_options field set, so if you do that through the database or in the admin, then it will show up correctly on the front end.

Magento Community
Magento Community

prometheus

Total Posts:  29

Andreas von Studnitz - 17 September 2008 12:34 AM

Hi Ali_Engr,

there is no direct way to do that. It could work if you do it by database directly (table catalog_product_entity), but this is not the official way and comes with no warranty.

Andreas

Has this feature been included in new releases? if not, is there any sane reason why it would not be included as I would think the feature is a basic requirement of any cart software. :S

Magento Community
Magento Community

jballotti
Guru

Total Posts:  339
Chicago area

Ali_Engr - 16 September 2008 07:43 PM

I have added a lot of products with product type as simple and want to change product from simple to configurable for custom attribute on front-end like drop downs.

Any body know this? or i need to add new products?

Thanks,

The way that a configurable product works:
A configurable product requires that you have defined two or more simple products, which have attributes defined that can be used in a configurable product.
The first step in creating a configurable product is to first define the attributes that will be used as part of the configurable product.
The second step is to create an attribute set containing those attributes.
The third step is to define two or more simple products using the attribute set you defined with the configurable attributes.
The final step is to create your configurable product using the simple product you created for this purpose.
You can read about the process for creating a configurable product here: Creating a Configurable Product

I hope this helps.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ces1292

Total Posts:  8

Regarding setting up configurable product, how can I set the image and sku to update when selecting the dropdown of the configurable product, such as (Size - 1 pt., 1 qt., 2 qt., 4 qt.)? Plus I’m displaying the sku of the products on detail pages, if I create the simple products first, and then build the configurable product, I still have to create a sku which doesn’t tie to anything. Is there a way around this?

Thanks in advance

Magento Community
Magento Community

MagneticOneTeam

Total Posts:  253
USA

Hi!
Store Manager for Magento is really flexible in working with products. You can
create simple product that uses default attribute set
them change product attribute set
then change product type say for grouped and then associate simple products to it.

Use free trial to see the application in action: http://www.mag-manager.com/

Magento Community
Magento Community

Muqtada

Total Posts:  3
Karachi, Pakistan

i have a similar question, can we change default attribute set to user defined attribute set?
my new attribute set code is 77 for example.
but when i import csv with following fields , it does’nt change any thing

sku,set
123test,77

Magento Community
Magento Community

Muqtada

Total Posts:  3
Karachi, Pakistan

Or i need some thing like

sku,attribute_set
test123,77

can some body reply to my question ?

Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

rangnath

Total Posts:  7

Hello,

I have got the solution on this website must read Change Product Type In Magento.
Or you can read here Expertwebadvisor.

Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community