Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Search result not working on 1.4

pstelt

Total Posts:  3

Thanks falcone, your solution worked for me too in 1.5.1

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

DieGoth

Total Posts:  8

falkone - 01 January 2011 11:14 AM

I’ve the same Problem and fixed it by edit the app/code/core/Mage/CatalogSearch/Block Result.php

Uncomment the line 149 and 150

//        $this->getListBlock()
//           ->setCollection($this->_getProductCollection());
to
$this->getListBlock()
           ->
setCollection($this->_getProductCollection());

Change line 172
$this->_productCollection $this->getListBlock()->getLoadedProductCollection();
to the old code from Version 1.4.1.1
$this->_productCollection Mage::getSingleton('catalogsearch/layer')->getProductCollection();

It works fine for me.

Thanks! That’s the real solution. 1.5 had the same issue!

Magento Community
Magento Community

kanka123

Total Posts:  1

I have Re-index category products and catalog search index from Admin-Index managemnet,and it works succesfully. smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

Aftab Naveed

Total Posts:  29
Sydney Australia

this worked for me even in 1.5.1

thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

cbknot

Total Posts:  7

I have a dumb question as our site got thrown into my lap and I’m not familiar with Magento.  Our site search is not working.  It shows everything up?  How do I fix that.  I also noticed that the previous web guy did not check any boxes under visability.  What option if any should I choose?  Catalog and search?  Please advise.  Any help on how to get the search to be specific and not list 5 pages of options would be great.

Magento Community
Magento Community

cbknot

Total Posts:  7

I have a dumb question as our site got thrown into my lap and I\’m not familiar with Magento.  Our site search is not working.  It shows everything up?  How do I fix that.  I also noticed that the previous web guy did not check any boxes under visability.  What option if any should I choose?  Catalog and search?  Please advise.  Any help on how to get the search to be specific and not list 5 pages of options would be great.

Magento Community
Magento Community

GreyWolf

Total Posts:  46

@ falcone

Nice work around for the continuing saga of the buggy 1.5.1.

After upgrading to 1.5, I was getting random results for any kind of phrase search in the mini search on my test site.
And then the search results disappeared all together on the live site after I found another bug in the category section while creating a new subcategory.

So, I used your Results.php tip to fix that problem.
But then I was getting random results on search results for any kind of phrase search in the mini search on my live site, just as I was getting on the test site after upgrade.
So I wound up also having to change the form.mini.phml file as mentioned in this thread
http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/225638/

So for now, I’m back in business. Thanks again for the workaround tip.

Magento Community
Magento Community

GreyWolf

Total Posts:  46

@NottyGirl
You need to be a little more specific in your questions.

You stated \"site got thrown into my lap and I\\’m not familiar with Magento\”

If you are new to Magento, it is a very steep learning process just to get a vague grasp of what is going on with the software and how it works. I\’m self taught, and don\’t know much php code except how to find a line of code (text) and change little snipets to make it work, based on other folks help here on the forums. I have been working with Magento since January of 2008 and I still feel like I\’m blindfolded in a dark warehouse trying to find a needle. And just when you think you have it all worked out, and you\’ve resigned yourself to just accepting some of the things that don\’t work on the version you are running your live site on, Magento comes out with an upgrade version that will supposedly fix the bugs in the previous versions. However when you upgrade, you find out that the latest version upgrade breaks something else that was working fine in your existing site. Which is why this search results thread is so long.

I\’ll try to answer your question.
To set up the basic and advanced search settings you need to set the attributes (catalog>attribute>manage attributes) like \"name\", \"description\", \"item_number\", \"age\", etc to Searchable \"Yes\"

There are basic setup tutorials on this site for most of the basics, as well as at other sites specializing in Magento. You just got to spend a lot of time searching all the threads and links.

Going with Magento is a Love | Hate relationship.
But when your site is up and running and everything works ... its a beautiful thing!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Finn

Total Posts:  75
Finland & The Netherlands

Thanks for the fix in: app/code/core/Mage/CatalogSearch/Block Result.php!! Works for me on a 1.6.0.0 install.

Initially I thought it was related to some customizations I made to the search functionality but when turning those off the problem remained and a good old search dug up this thread :D

Magento Community
Magento Community

dKraus

Total Posts:  30

I have the same problem on v1.6.2.0. Deleting cache, reindexing nor the patch to Result.php worked to solve the problem.

Advanced search page doesn’t show anything but my sidebar. Completely blank screen. Not sure what else can be done to solve this issue and is very annoying. Search functionality should work out of the box and not require any of this mucking about in the system. Might have to abandon Magento for future projects as I am now close to being behind schedule for this project.

Any suggestions and help is appreciated!

Magento Community
Magento Community

FetchDesigns

Total Posts:  124
Chicago, IL

Geesh!  I had the same problem after upgrading from 1.4.0.1 to 1.7.0.2.  This fix worked great.  Thanks smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

TheBigLaskowski

Total Posts:  6

I too have the same issue, cleared all cache\\\\\\\’s, re-indexed everything, tried the result.php tweak and still nada, my search results return some of the newer products added to my site, but some of the most basic search terms bring up nothing, searched every thread online and tried everything grrrrrrr........... very frustrated.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Arrow Design

Total Posts:  2
United Kingdom

We have released a free module on Connect to resolve this problem; it uses the code provided by ‘falcone’ in a stand alone module. Store owners without coding experience / access to their site code can now apply the fix using the module.

Noticed that this bug seems to affect 1.4, 1.5, 1.6 and 1.7 - but it’s on a site by site basis (i.e. don’t install the module if you are not having problems with quick search).

http://www.magentocommerce.com/magento-connect/catalog/product/view/id/14484/

Magento Community
Magento Community

munchies_kosher

Total Posts:  1

timnguyen - 21 May 2010 07:18 PM

Hehe, I’ve just found the solution:

Go to admin > System > Index Management.
Then, select all the indexes > Pick action is “Reindex data” > Press “Submit”.

Enjoy!

Thanks for this! It worked for me smile
www.lamunchies.com

Magento Community
Magento Community

tilzinger

Total Posts:  126

I just upgraded from 1.3.2.4 to 1.7.0.2 and can confirm this fix works. The bigger question here, is why in the hell this change was even required? I just upgraded 4 point versions and I had to use code from the old version for the search to work?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community