Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 3
Better Template System !! 

Raine

Total Posts:  3

So i was prepared for Magento cause it was *the new way* of ecommerce well it maybe is,
but you forgot one thing. Templates sick

I am a designer not a coder (altho i can write php)

But i was hoping for a EASY way of making customization to the site themes and doing my own style (hoping Magento was flexible enough)

But today i downloaded the svn release and looked at the templates.

<?if ($this->getGalleryImages() && $this->getGalleryImages()->getSize()):?>

<div class="more-views">
                <
h4><?=__('More Views')?></h4>
                        <
li><?=__('Buy')?> <?=$_price['price_qty']?> <?=__('for')?> <strong><?=$_price['formated_price']?></strong></li>

Tell me how would i make sense of this :/ (i could cause i recognize the php tags // but that is not the issue)
A startup designer must work on the design not on the code.

This template system may be easy for some people (maybe a lot) but for some… man..it’s a whole learning curve (just like wordpress templates)

Maybe you guys will address this in future version of Magento (i hope so) cause the only thing all the other ecommerce packages lack is a Proper Way of Templating (customization)

A example of a very nice way of doing templates (not advertising here, just explaining what i mean):
Take a look at ExpressionEngine they have a beautifully/easy way of doing templates, that makes much more sense (to me and a lot of other people). See here and here

Well all the other things of Magento rocks.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Raine

Oww lol,

I just noticed this site uses ExpressionEngine to power this forum.

So the Magento crew already know how easy templates can be. (now bring that to Magento heh) rasberry

Magento Community
Magento Community

Scott
Guru

Total Posts:  333
Northwest Ohio

The purpose of Magento is to completely turn the ecommerce world upside-down, not to improve on a mediocre one. With that said, yes there will be a learning curve. But this is required in order to remain flexible and keep up performance. We are working on the design documentation as we speak and hopefully we can clarify some of these functions, etc for those who aren’t necessarily familiar with the code.

wink

Magento Community
Magento Community

Raine

Turning the ecommerce upside down means inventing a new way of templates not using the old style which all the other’s are doing

Ahwell seems like Magento choose this way and i will have to live with it :/

Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

I agree with Scott - there will be a learning curve and we are fully committed to providing documentation, screencasts and any other help to make the learning curve as easy as possible. That said, there is no restriction to use *this* template system. The code allows for other template systems to be used, so for example, if you are more comfortable with smarty, it is theoretically possible to use it. Perhaps we’ll see other template implementations provided by the community in the future.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brandon

Total Posts:  76
Web Developer

Any template system is going to have a “learning curve”, so you might as well learn something powerful :D I think documentation will be a huge help.

Magento Community
Magento Community

_

Total Posts:  152

@Brandon . Maybe this week we’ll finish it. Frankly i didn’t see any problem with any modification to code. For me it’s much more simplier than using Smarty (although i like it very much).

Magento Community
Magento Community

Johan

Total Posts:  104
Sweden

I will send an assassin if you implement Smarty.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Scott
Guru

Northwest Ohio

Johan, again, if smarty is implemented, that’s only as an option… you would probably have to download and install a module.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Johan

Total Posts:  104
Sweden

Yes probably. But Smarty needs to die. Not spread and infect more humans. wink

Magento Community
Magento Community

austinstorm

Total Posts:  31
Moscow, ID

I have yet to look at the template system, but from what I’ve seen I’m happy with the amount of control we have. I’d rather have something complicated where I can change *everything* as opposed to condescendingly giving a stylesheet and saying ‘you can change the colors’!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Scott
Guru

Northwest Ohio

Johan, are you insisting that smarty is the AIDS of template systems? Haha rasberry

There’s another one out there called Flexy, anyone seen it? It’s supposed to be better. I’ve never cared for smarty myself though.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Jesse-Lee Stringer

Total Posts:  18
Melbourne, Australia

Scott - 03 September 2007 10:54 AM

Johan, are you insisting that smarty is the AIDS of template systems? Haha rasberry

There’s another one out there called Flexy, anyone seen it? It’s supposed to be better. I’ve never cared for smarty myself though.

Proberly, but I’m supporting the Smarty’s death wishes.
I know very little about php, but know from experience that Smarty sucks somewhat.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Scott
Guru

Northwest Ohio

Smarty is lacking in the performance area, because it has to parse all those tags. Also, there is still a learning curve with it. I think there’s going to be a learning curve no matter which way you look at templates.

Magento Community
Magento Community

sempsteen

Total Posts:  4

please please don’t implement any templating system like Smarty. mvc structure already provides code/logic/view seperation and php itself is enough for eveything.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Scott
Guru

Northwest Ohio

We know this is a good thing, and you can be sure that it won’t be ruined. But understand that someone stuck in their smarty ways will want it, so if someone decides to develop the functionality, it’ll be there… as a module that you would have to physically choose to download and install. But by default, it will remain how it is now (for the most part anyway).

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 3